A Bit Of A Poser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit Of A Poser

I have two capture systems set up, one using my old Marvel G200 Card and the other using a Marvel G400 card (see specs below). I'm using PD 5.41 and VT 1.52 on both, as well as DX 9.0b.

Here's the puzzle: I've never been able to capture at 704x480x30 at better than 11/1 compression, 1.930 MB/sec. Now, all of a sudden I notice that the G200 system is giving me the option of 704x480x30 at 6/1 compression and 3.0 MB/sec.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out what's different between the two systems that would account for this.

system 1:

AMD TBird 1200
    128 MB PC100
    Abit KT7A
    Marvel G200, BIOS V. 3.3 (I can't find BIOS v. 3.3 for download ANYWHERE!)
    TBSC
    17 GB Maxtor system drive
    30 GB Maxtor capture drive

System 2:

AMD Athlon 2000+
    512 MB DDRRAM
    MSI 745 Ultra
    Marvel G400, BIOS v. 2.1.35
    TBSC
    30 GB Maxtor System Drive
    80 GB Maxtor Capture drive

I don't have PIC or Morgan codecs installed, although system 2 does have a Divx player. Both systems have Premiere 6.0, although I almost never use it on system 1.

What else can I look for, mainly to enable the higher capture settings on the G400? Or does the difference between the BIOS's account for it?

Kevin

I now observe that the G200 system has the RRIcm (DMB1) codec installed but the G400 system does not.

D'oh! Win98SE.

How do I (re)install DMB1 codec? (aside from rerunning the setup program again... :P )

Kevin

Comment

is DMA enabled on drives?What does the matrox drive test report? 7mb/s or better? Do you determine that the dmb1(RRIcm) codec is not installed in control panel----multimedia----devices-----video compression codec? if not you may have to reinstall. If the high er quality is greyed out, its probably do to the matrox drive test failing.retest to check the speed.
      smitty

Comment

Weird. I figured it out, almost by accident. As an experiment I thought I would see what compression rate I'd get out of the G400 if I turned the audio quality from "CD" to "TV". I got it up to 6.6:1 compression. The rate jumped to 3.0 MB/sec. When I adjusted the audio quality back to "CD" it went up to 3.1 MB/sec.
        I'm a little mystified, But I'll take it.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X