Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help selecting card p-750, parhelia, radeon 9800pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help selecting card p-750, parhelia, radeon 9800pro?

Read with interest many of the posts..
    I do not play video games.. building a video editing machine,
    want to run two crt monitors and a tv video out for video editing
    with Media studio pro-7.

hmm.. saw the posts on cooling problems and ideas..
    saw the posts on 3d etc.. just really want to run two crt monitors for 2d quality, and have excellent output to a tv video monitor..

running two 19" crts, have not purchased the tv monitor.
    I see lots of reviews on the web that are gaming related..
    not too many that review the tv out for video editing..

Seems like all the cards run two monitors.. but the tv quality output is important to me as well..

Thanks for any ideas.. reviews.. links.. personal experiences..

Bryan
    p4c800-e
    p4 3.0
    Maxtor sata 10k 72GB sys
    Hitachi 160 g 7200sata vidcap
    Hitachi 160 g 7200 sata vidstor
    selecting vid card opt:
    p-750 or radeon 9800
    2 crt 1 tv out
    video editing
    win xp-pro sp1
    selecting ram
    adc-100 cap
    media studio pro-7

Well unfortunately I haven't been impressed with the tv-out capabilities of any of those cards. In my opinion Matrox TV was awesome with the G400 but went down the crapper since then.
    For analog quility of those cards I'd take the P750... I'd stay away from the Parhelia due to the banding issues when using overlay on analog output... which I'd assume you'll be using an overlay video window for editing.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

P750 is fine for ulead but you should know that if you ever need to output the preview window from other apps that need our WYSIWYG plugins (AE, 3DSmax, Lightwave, Photoshop, Premiere pro etc), you would need Parhelia becuase our WYSIWYG plugins won't install on the Millennium cards.

Here's some reviews for you:

Comment

Originally posted by Haig
        Hi Bryan,

P750 is fine for ulead but you should know that if you ever need to output the preview window from other apps that need our WYSIWYG plugins (AE, 3DSmax, Lightwave, Photoshop, Premiere pro etc), you would need Parhelia becuase our WYSIWYG plugins won't install on the Millennium cards.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/video/reviews.cfm
        what's going on, Haig?
        OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Just a pointer to rylan's post.

The banding (which doesn't officially exist) has only realy been reported while using 3D. There has been a (very) few reports of it being visable during overlay. but I for one have not seen it on my card.

At last check I havn't seen any reports of banding while using TV out for 2D.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Despite Rylan's claims, I have never once seen any banding on my Parhelia when using overlay, and only minimal banding under very specific conditions with 3D. This apparently varies from card to card.
            While a few people say they see banding with overlay, most never see this happen.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Nothing new Soupy. Maybe we can hook up at Jack's with Mikey when he gets back from vacation. He'll be back on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                At last check I havn't seen any reports of banding while using TV out for 2D.
                You should never see any banding on TV or a 3rd display - it uses an external DAC.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Haig
                  Hi Bryan,

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/video/reviews.cfm

hi Haig... i've been wondering for a while why the WYSIWYG plugins wont work on the mellenium series... is it just thechnicly noot posible to do or just a marketing gimic to get people to buy the more expensive P..... aye... and please dont any of you get the impretion that i am in any way trying to insult Haige or matrox... just curious...
                  "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Oh I didn't know those plugins didn't work on the Mellenium series. Hrm, maybe it is worth going with the Parhelia then. Don't know how the TV out between Parhelia and P750 compares, but I'd think about the same. TV out on the Radeon cards has gotten better with the 9800 series, but still is not what I'd call 'good'.

Comment

@SD

to do or just a marketing gimic to get people to buy the more expensive P
                      I can't speak for marketing and their reasoning but for me,it doesn't make sense to use expesive software like Avid, 3DSMax, Lightwave, etc on a low priced card.

@Rylan

You shouldn't see any difference on the tv out between both the P & Millennium P series.
                      Last edited by Haig; 26 February 2004, 09:56.

Comment

I recommended P650 to some organization that needed to output movies through projector.

I found out, Adobe Photoshop Wyswig plugin doesn't work on Millennium.

I understand Millennium P is not intended for 3D Studio Max, but mere Photoshop...

Comment

I understand Millennium P is not intended for 3D Studio Max, but mere Photoshop...
                          I agree but I think that there would be alot of complaints coming in if we would say some plugins will work and some won't.

I also think that anyone who rely's on photoshop to pay their bills and support a family wouldn't object to the extra cost of a P provided it improves their productivity with PS.

I also think that PS is not as cheap as you think since alot of pro PS users spend alot of $$ on all the pro plugins.

Comment

@bryan:

For your needs I would go for the P-750.

Regards
                            Che
                            P IV 3,06 Ghz, GA-8ihxp i850e, 512 MB PC-1066 RDRam, Parhelia 128 mb 8x, 40 + 60 gb IBM 7200 upm/2048 kb HD, Samtron 96 P 19", black icemat, Razer Boomslang 2100 krz-2 + mousebungee, Videologic sonic fury, Creative Soundworks

Comment

The P750 is doing a very good job in 2D and high res. But unfortunately it's not so good when it comes to TV-out in S-VIDEO.

Since you have not purchased the TV yet, I would advise to buy a TV with progressive RGB input in order to connect the 3rd head of the P750 directly to the TV, and not using the S-VIDEO connector.

I don't have such a TV, so I had to complete my P750 with a RADEON PCI wich drive a PAL TV in RGB mode in order to reach a good quality on TV screen.

see my post for more infos
                              A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
                              Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
                              2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
                              LC Power 550 W
                              Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
                              Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
                              NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
                              SB Audigy 2
                              BELINEA 10-17-30
                              XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
                              Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
                              Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
                              ------------------------------------------
                              3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment

Working...
                              X