Puzzled by W32/netsky virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled by W32/netsky virus

How the hell does send mail by a program such as Pegasus mail? Its mainly text based although you can use html with it. Most people are using version 3.12.

It's interesting that in some cases theres no registry setting to launch the program but the infected files are in every folder marked share plus a few others. Others have the registry entry too launch the virus but the virus hasn't dropped the files in the shared folders.

The only good news is Mcafee, Sophos can see this bugger and if updated can kill it.

The record number of files I've cleaned from one machine stands at just over 6700.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

It has its own SMTP engine. Once activated/opened it runs in the background and amongst other things send the email all on it's own.

Check item 11 Here.
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 25 February 2004, 19:05.

Comment

Thats w32.netsky.c doesn't look like version b does that.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

netsky b is a complete bugger, I have has over 300,000 instances of it on the network, sophos is going as quickly as it can but it will still take a few days to purge completely.
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Sophos is a bit pants sadly. On a mailhubs it decides to let the odd one through even though it's been updated. Worrying.

The record number of dumped files so far is 10620. Anyone beat that???
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Antivirus programs are all pants lately. I don't know what is up, but nobody has written a GOOD antivirus program in years now. AVG is the closest I've come, and even that succumbs to the "weird new interface that nobody can use" bug.

Norton Corporate is good, from what I hear.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

Norton Corporate is good, from what I hear.
              - Gurm
              I've only seen the old version 2002. For some reason it had failed too update the virus signatures for six months. The person responisble for it had left and of course no instructions were left etc.

The new person managed too find the password and after a little of playing it updated the virus signatures. Strange it took two reboots for it too suddenly decide it had.

Even wierder it had detected and quarentened mydoom even though the signatures were out of date. Dunno how it did that. So after updating when scanned all the pc's on the network they were already clean.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Thats w32.netsky.c doesn't look like version b does that.
                (wording)

Both C which I have a link for above and B both have the engine.

Comment

Because Norton uses heuristics. All new scanners do, but Norton Corporate is particularly... thorough.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

We Have The Norton Corporate Here At Work And Its Definately Good... For The Most Part On The Networked Machines You Don't Even Know It Is There... And We Haven't Had A Virus Make It Through Since We Replaced Whatever Program It Was We Were Using Before.
                    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Originally posted by cbman
                      We Have The Norton Corporate Here At Work And Its Definately Good... For The Most Part On The Networked Machines You Don't Even Know It Is There... And We Haven't Had A Virus Make It Through Since We Replaced Whatever Program It Was We Were Using Before.
                      However, the network scanner automatically capitalizes the first letter of every word you type.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I Used To Do That Myself...
                        nowadays i am too lazy to press the shift when required..
                        but the reason i give is that i am now too used to unix.. hehe
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Norton Corporate is the only Symantec product I recommend to anyone. It is pretty decent. Kaspersky has been doing well on my home machine. AVG 7 seems good too, but I haven't tested it extensively
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                            (wording)

Both C which I have a link for above and B both have the engine.
                            Doh missed that. No.10
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah.... the capitalization is a bad habit I picked up along time ago in school when I was learing how to touch type and use the shift key. Hows that go anyways... The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog?
                              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                              X