Win2k network problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k network problem

Yesterday I configured a wireless network for a friend using the following: NetGear DG834G (wireless modem router), Netgear WG311 (Wireless G PCI card in an XP box - working perfectly), Netgear WG511T (PC card in a Win2k laptop - this has the problem and is the reason for posting).

I tested the WG511T in my XP laptop and it works perfectly. I'm using 128bit WEP. When it is in the win2k laptop, it finds and joins the network no problems but can't get an IP. I've tried assigning a fixed IP manually but still no traffic. There is an ethernet adaptor on this PC, which works perfectly well when wired to the DG834G. I have this disabled when tying wifi.

Any ideas please? BTW, when this laptop is at work, it logs on to a domain. When at home (where this story is set) its a local logon, with admin rights.

Many TIA

Tony.
    FT.

Won't get an IP? Sounds suspiciously like the damn WZC acting up, only there isn't any in Win2k.

Try:

1. Uninstalling all drivers.
    2. Putting it in the other PC card slot.

If that doesn't help... it COULD be the router. Try rebooting the router. I've had that happen a time or two, the router just decided it was NOT going to give that card an IP.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks Gurm.

I have tried downloading and installing the latest drivers, to no effect.
      I haven't tried the other slot - that's where the ethernet card was languishing.
      Did try rebooting the router (and a firmware upgrade).

Cheers

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

Ok next step is to head over to DSLReports, to their forums, and look through the Netgear forum there. That's where all the wireless guys hang out.

- GUrm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I was thinking you may need to create a profile for work and a separate one for home on the pc.
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

There's no firewall running on this PC?
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

@Gurm

Thanks - I just posted there.

@Dil - what would you set differently for each?

@Taz - no nothing like that. What's weird is the ethernet PC Card can get an IP from the DG834G but the wifi Pc Card can't.

The laptop is now being made dual-boot 2k/XP, so hopefully it will work in XP, but I still want to understand/solve the problem.

T.
              FT.

Comment

I just finished a test WPA install (WPA-PSK + TKIP) with 3com 802.11g Office Connect router and PC-Card (latest firmware + drivers).

For some reason, it won't always get an IP with DHCP although signal strength is all peachy. If I use it with a fixed IP, it still wouldn't allow traffic.

The surefire way to get it to work is to boot the laptop without the PC Card and THEN insert it when Windows is finished doing whatever it thinks necessary (Win XP Pro + all patches + WPA patch). Oh, and NOT use 3com's Wireless software...and BTW the WPA patch removes the option to disable the 802.1x authentication....

Comment

FT you state that the pc is part of a network at work with ethernet card

and you use the wireless at home using a local account

setup profiles accordingly to make sure the nic isnt being used when u want the wireless working
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                  X