Earth almost put on impact alert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth almost put on impact alert.

Live each day to the fullest. you never know when something like this WILL happen.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3517319.stm
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

I think the near-earth-object tracking organization needs more people and funding. This was only cought a 36 hours before potential impact.

Comment

Personally I think a distributed computing program similar to SETI@Home but using photographs and/or radar to search for extremely faint objects would be astronomicly (pardon the pun ) more useful than looking for alien signals.

Comment

I agree, we need a more concerted effort to keep an eye on events in our vecinity.
        How can you find objects thousands of light years away, and miss the one that almost slammed into the end of your telescope.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well, the objects we are looking at far away are many, many times bigger and when we do find them, we are usually looking at a very limited section of sky.

Comment

Potentially, the loss of life could have been much worse than 11 September.
            Yeah - those astronomical objects are really nasty - even worse than Al-Qaeda.

Why is it that everything has to be related to terrorist activity???

- Steve

Comment

ROFL.

They're both "das bomb!"

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos

- Steve
                Because the Press hypes it up?
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos

- Steve
                  You know, I was going to post this, but I feared some people would be all over me. Glad that you have

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                    I agree, we need a more concerted effort to keep an eye on events in our vecinity.
                    To what end? Personally, I'd rather have an asteroid impact be a BLAMMO and we're gone type deal than a week (or more) of panic and chaos.

Comment

Well I suppose if it crashed into the middle east it would be the hand of Allah.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Corran Horn
                        To what end? Personally, I'd rather have an asteroid impact be a BLAMMO and we're gone type deal than a week (or more) of panic and chaos.
                        Isn't there something you've always wanted to do before you died that you just needed the right motivator to finally have the guts to actually do it?

Comment

Nope.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Isn't there something you've always wanted to do before you died that you just needed the right motivator to finally have the guts to actually do it?
                            Yep, move to a better location so I can get a better view of the impact.

Comment

buying a revolver to shoot myself, but the asteroid would take care of that methinks.
                              "both boredom and hysteria are the enemies of reason." -cliff geertz

Comment

Working...
                              X