Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Martain Rover reveiled

Pretty good article here:

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

On a related note my cable modem, a Motorola Surfboard 4100, uses the same operating system as the rovers, VxWorks version 5.3.

Comment

Sounds like a typical cock up. Luckily they were able to re-activate spirit otherwise someone wouldn't have been very popular and heads could have rolled.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        Sounds like a typical cock up. Luckily they were able to re-activate spirit otherwise someone wouldn't have been very popular and heads could have rolled.
        A typical cock up for fresh out of school newbie programmers. Handling file allocation exceptions is a trivial case study scenario taught in most intro to computer science courses.

Ok, ok. I don't know enough of the back story of how much work went into this mission so I won't blather on about this oversight but I have to say that for the multibillion dollar price tag, the US taxpayers should be able to expect a higher degree of proficiency than this.

edit: reworked a sentence for clarification
        Last edited by schmosef; 24 February 2004, 14:06.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yup, far from something that could not have been anticipated, this was a completely run-of-the-mill software design flaw.
          Had it been something silly like an infinite loop, that would have been news.
          But, one part of the system just assuming something else worked, well, I write code like that every day.
          One does not expect that in the core of an operating system, or a .5 billion $ machine.
          chuck

PS and even I never do that in any part of the system that involves MONEY.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Makes you wonder what testing they do and how good there procedures are. Fancy forgetting you only managed to upload part of the code.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X