Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Vantec Iceberg GPU Cooler work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Vantec Iceberg GPU Cooler work?

The high pitched noise of the Parhelia fan is very annoying. I was wondering if the Vantec Iceberg 4 Pro GPU cooler would work.

Newegg link

Vantec only lists compatibility for ATI and nVidia cards. It almost appears that no one else makes video cards

Vantec link

Thanks for your help

Yeah I think the mounting pushpins on the P are in a 'strange' orientation compared to ATI cards and the nVidia stuff. I have an ATI card with an Iceberg4 at work, so I'll check on a P there tomorrow to see if it will line up. Its a normal one since the Pro doesn't fit on the ATI Radeon series.

Comment

It won't work because the P has non-standard fan mounting holes.

The Zalman ZM80C-HP is what I now use, it only covers about 90% of the P's gpu surface but all is well, even overclocked 10%.

I tried the Verax G02 but it failed, others have had better luck. It's expensive @$70, the Zalman cost me $38 delivered with the fan.

I also made my own from a Pentium Pro heatsink/fan, but it was noisy to me. It also requires some drilling, but only into the heatsink.
      P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Yup with my waterblock I only cover some of the Parhelia chip packaging but all seems fine - basically the actual core under the heat spreader is much smaller and I presume centrally mounted - as long as that is covered you should be OK.

The mounting holes are of course a different matter.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by gangster
          It won't work because the P has non-standard fan mounting holes.

The Zalman ZM80C-HP is what I now use, it only covers about 90% of the P's gpu surface but all is well, even overclocked 10%.

Bummer

My problem is that I've moved the Parhelia from my tower which was noisy by itself to a Shuttle XPC. The ZM80C won't fit in the Shuttle without cutting a hole in the case.

Comment

Another alternative is to use Arctic Silver thermal adhesive and mount anything that fits...
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
            X