advice needed on problem with dlink router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed on problem with dlink router

I have a D-Link DI-614+ internet gateway/router.

On the router I have my xbox, my laptop, and my PDA via wifi.

The last couple of days I’ve noticed that my internet speed seems slow. I had some time today so I decided to troubleshoot it. Here’s what I found:

-When I connect my laptop directly to my ISP’s DSL modem, it runs at full speed (3Mbit).
    -When I connect via my dlink it runs at about 10% of the speed when connected directly. Downloads that run at 300kps run at about 30kps.
    -I’m not running any firewall or other type software which affects the internet.
    -Nothing has changed recently in my system config.
    -It’s been running fine in the current config for over a year.

A dlink tech asked me to run a virus tool, change my MTU settings, force my NIC and dlink to 10Mb; all to no avail.

He grudgingly offered me an RMA but told me he still didn’t think the router was at fault and when they received it, if they couldn’t reproduce the problem, I’d have to pay for the shipping for them to send it back.

So my question is, what else could it be?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Seems that 624+ users experience something similar:

I would say it's time to get rid of the unit and find one to replace it.

Comment

The best thing you can do with any piece of dlink equipment is hit it with a hammer ... multiple times if required. Then go out and get a good replacement
      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Wonder if the Dl-604+ is equally bad?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Actually had no realy problems here with my d-link stuff. but I don't use it that often, only when I need wifi.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I've had intermittant problems with various DLink wireless equipment. I think that their build quality is just extra-poor and the units ... break ... easily.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I just find most dlink products to be unremarkable and decidedly average.

Not worth the premium they charge.

Comment

They don't charge a premium around here. The D-Link wireless stuff is on Uber-sale everywhere the past few weeks, which is why I bought some - figured "hey, even if it sucks, it's $50 for a complete wireless setup!"

It wasn't worth the $50.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Same goes for my $15 Di-604...

Comment

I always wondered why they were 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the other routers.
                    As always, I avoided them because of this (you get what you pay for)
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      They don't charge a premium around here. The D-Link wireless stuff is on Uber-sale everywhere the past few weeks, which is why I bought some - figured "hey, even if it sucks, it's $50 for a complete wireless setup!"

It wasn't worth the $50.

- Gurm
                      I mean they charge a premium compared to the ultra cheap no-named brand stuff, while really being no better then most of it.

Comment

Re: advice needed on problem with dlink router

Originally posted by schmosef

A dlink tech asked me to run a virus tool, change my MTU settings, force my NIC and dlink to 10Mb; all to no avail.

hmmm, Did you force both speed and duplex for the NIC card? It's usually the duplex setting that is the problem and not the speed. If you have half duplex on one side and fll duplex on the other, you will get a lot of dropped packets. If both sides are capable of 100/full, that is what I would set them to. If you still have a problem, work your way down to 100/half, 10/full, 10/half. See if that helps.

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Wow!

You guys are all really down on D-Link.

So what would you suggest? A 3Com?

@Helevitia, Yeah I tried all the duplex settings. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Linksys.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                              Linksys.
                              You think so? I haven't had much luck with them either.

It seems to me that the current crop of Dlink, Linksys, and SMC products are all just OEMs of Texas Instruments technology. The same problems seem to be happening for all these brands.

As a reseller, I can say that the wholesale price for each of these brands is almost identical.

Comment

Working...
                              X