Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car options, opinions

Good morning all,
    Today I will continue the quest for a new car (uk)
    A am looking for a family vehicle with room for 2 adults a teenager and 2 baby seats, in the £10-11K region,
    so far we have looked at the
    Kia Clarens (10.2k) - a bit small
    Hyundia Matrix (10.2) - again a little small but has 5 years parts and labour warrenty, 3 yrs free servicing, 3 years RAC, and fullly spacified, abs etc.
    Citreon Berlingo (10.2k) - a massive box with completely no style but will fit us all, the driving position is not very good (test driving today)

Anybody else has experiences with the above or can recomend me looking at any other.

My heart says get a good car but my brain is saying berlingo (ugh!)

Ta

Breezer.
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

what about a focus? or the new MPV varient?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I'd probably go Hyundia over Kia. Kia's just don't last.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Toyota Prius may cost a little more in capital costs but the low taxation/insurance and petrol consumption make it very attractive. If they were sold here, I'd have traded my Honda CR-V in for one by now.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Got a Berlingo DHi with all the trimmings for 9.6k with a 04 reg.
          Best price for this range of car I could get other than buying from jamjar or similar.

Now who's going to advance me a few thou to pay for it?

Breezer
          Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Ok well I know this is the UK and therefore my "those are all shit cars" gut reaction doesn't hold up. However...

1. Kia claims to have a better warranty than anyone, however a guy I know had a brand new Kia (3 months old) and they would NOT replace a leaking/squeaking strut. It was clearly defective, I found the leak myself, and they refused to replace it. That's how good their "amazing warranty" is. Compare that to my Volvo's warranty, where at 4 years, 11 months, 28 days they gave me a brand new loaner car and kept mine for 3 days doing things like recharging the A/C, reinsulating the doors, and replacing speakers that "didn't quite sound right". I say Kia can go screw.

2. Hyundai... I'm again leery of their "amazing warranty". I don't buy it. Those cars don't last 5 years, so I can't imagine a COMPREHENSIVE 5 year warranty.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

toyotas last long for some reason. this is the first time mine has been in the shop ever (today getting something electrical fixed thats going to the battery=$340) but thats not bad considering its now 12 years old and ive owned it for 8 years now.
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

ps. the part is $50.. the labor is the rest
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  I'd probably go Hyundia over Kia. Kia's just don't last.
                  Hyundia's are IMO FAR worse than Kia's, but either way you wouldn't catch me dead in either, even if some guy gave me the keys to a new one. Cheapest cars ever. I've heard so many horror stories, and that's just with the NEW ones!!!

In all, I agree with Liz, Toyota's last longer than they should, making them an excellent car to own.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    Ok well I know this is the UK and therefore my "those are all shit cars" gut reaction doesn't hold up. However...

1. Kia claims to have a better warranty than anyone, however a guy I know had a brand new Kia (3 months old) and they would NOT replace a leaking/squeaking strut. It was clearly defective, I found the leak myself, and they refused to replace it. That's how good their "amazing warranty" is. Compare that to my Volvo's warranty, where at 4 years, 11 months, 28 days they gave me a brand new loaner car and kept mine for 3 days doing things like recharging the A/C, reinsulating the doors, and replacing speakers that "didn't quite sound right". I say Kia can go screw.

2. Hyundai... I'm again leery of their "amazing warranty". I don't buy it. Those cars don't last 5 years, so I can't imagine a COMPREHENSIVE 5 year warranty.

- Gurm
                    Lol.
                    Shooting off again, are we?

Well. Of course Korean cars have their flaws - just liek everybody else.

But since my family have sold Hyundai since they came to Europe, we can clearly state that they have on average less factory faults than many of the other brands of car we have been aquainted with (my familly have repaired cars since 1943).

Their guarrantee IS the best in Denmark - and I guess its the same in the UK.

As for the cars not lasting 5 years?

Heh. They last TOO darn well, and ALOT longer than 5 years. (Since we dont really start making money of the cars we sell, before they are beyound varanty and start to break down- we earned a LOT more money when we where selling Suzuki/Lada's ).

Just my dime.

~~DukeP~~

Note: you cant buy a new car in DK for less than 20k$ - and not a decent car for less than 30K$ (entry level Hyundai). Cars HAVE to last longer, here in Denmark. They are expensive as hell.

Second Note: Kia is owned by Hyundai - eventually they wil be the same brand. I think most spareparts are interchangeable now. Kia where originally a cheaper car than Hyundai. I think its about the same, now.
                    Last edited by DukeP; 21 February 2004, 11:54.

Comment

What's a Vauxhall? Went to a place online that rents cars in the UK and everything was related to these.. "Vauxhall 350 or similar" or some such. Is this like the British Chevrolet or something? Good cars? Bad?

Comment

Vauxhall?
                        Its an Opel.
                        Dont go there.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I take it that's bad.. Opel is about as well known here as Vauxhall, which is practically not at all.

Comment

is RAV4 out of ur price range?

Comment

ok nvm about rav4. its 16K

what about corolla verso? it *starts* from 12K

Comment

Working...
                              X