Download yahoo/hotmail email for free to your favorite email client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download yahoo/hotmail email for free to your favorite email client

I just installed YahooPops and I am now reading Yahoo email via Thunderbird, yippeee! Check out this thread...

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Uh I've been using my Yahoo account with Outlook for years and never paid anything for this.
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Care to enlighten us as to HOW you are managing this magical feat, since Yahoo doesn't have any POP servers?

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
        Uh I've been using my Yahoo account with Outlook for years and never paid anything for this.
        Yahoo requires you to PAY a yearly fee to download mail. They USED TO allow you to download mail into your local mail client. So either you pay a yearly fee or you are lucky and it somehow still works for you.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Care to enlighten us as to HOW you are managing this magical feat, since Yahoo doesn't have any POP servers?

- Gurm
          I showed you, follow the link above, install YahooPops, configure your mail client and BAM, it works.

Dave

Comment

Yahoo says:

POP Access and Forwarding

• Use Outlook™, Eudora™, or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail.

• Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account - even another Yahoo! address.

• Send larger messages, up to 5MB

• Only $19.99/year*.

Comment

btw, I just tried to download Yahoo mail without using YahooPops and it didn't work, so I'm not sure how you are getting it to work PAugustin.

Comment

About 4/5 years ago I used to download my yahoo mail through OE, you where limited to it checking once or twice a week though, I can't remember how it was set up.

Comment

Yahoo grandfathers in a lot of their older agreements. That's why some people still have 10MB of free space.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well my account is pretty old. I just had to tick an option to activate the pop function. I just have to ad a pop.mail.yahoo.fr and smtp.mail.yahoo.fr and it works perfectly. It has been working for years !

Maybe this is paying features for new accounts or North America.
                    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I have an account from Rocketmail from 94 (that yahoo bought later on), and another from yahoo about 5 years old, but they sure didn't forget to ask for payment...I'm actually using Web2pop to download it now....Yahoopops works fine but I needed sth for Hotmail too (mail rules do not work for HTTP accounts). Strangely I can't make Yahoopops 0.5 work now... 0.46 worked like a charm though...

edit: typos
                      Last edited by Kurt; 22 February 2004, 16:10.

Comment

New from Yahoo:

You recently attempted to retrieve your Yahoo! Mail messages using a POP3 client such as Outlook Express. Yahoo! Mail no longer provides free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please sign up for our improved package that allows you to:

Use Outlook, Eudora, or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail.
                        Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account -- even another Yahoo! address.
                        Send larger attachments, now up to 5MB instead of the free 1.5MB limit.
                        Send email without the Yahoo! promotional text at the bottom.*

Of course, you will still have free access to your Yahoo! Mail messages on the web at http://mail.yahoo.com.

If you have just subscribed to this service, please disregard this notification.

Sincerely,
                        Yahoo! Mail

For further information, please read our frequently asked questions. Please note that your Yahoo! Delivers settings will not be affected.

*Applies only to email sent through the Yahoo! SMTP servers.

Comment

Well I've checked again, and I can use smtp/pop servers for my two yahoo: accounts. One is very old, and the other one is only a few years old.
                          I've seen that I am a "Yahoo! Direct" member, meaning that I accept to get ads from Yahoo! partners. I get a couple of mail ads a week. This is why I benefit from a free smtp/pop server service.

Comment

ahh, now it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X