Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry Black Hole Rips Star Apart

02:26 PM Feb. 18, 2004 PT

WASHINGTON -- A big black hole ripped apart a sun-like star, gobbled a bit of it and flung the rest out into the cosmic neighborhood in an act of celestial gluttony caught by two orbiting observatories, scientists said Wednesday.
    The rest of the news
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Do you want fries with that ?? Asked a passing Mcdonald waitress.
    The black whole emitted a large burp and has been banned from all Mcdonald resturants.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The tremendous gravity of the black hole, estimated to have a mass 100 million times that of our sun...

Comment

not surprised....

Comment

Alright, what is the largest known star wrt mass? About the largest I have heard is 50 solar masses. This means (unless this page has it all wrong) that the black hole they are talking about is 2,000,000 times as massive as the most massive of stars.

Comment

Black holes in the middle of galaxies get to eat a lot, that's why it's so heavy.

Comment

hmmm...
              That would be 25 times the mass of the black hole at the center of the Milky Way.
              And it isn't shrouded by other stars but the one?
              That is amazing.
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Perhaps they're trying the Atkins diet.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  Perhaps they're trying the Atkins diet.
                  Then it will die at a young age from excessive dark matter deposits in it's subspace tunnels.

Comment

star falls into a black hole.

hmm thought this was about Courtney Love and her drug addiction.
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                    X