• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never underestimate an angry woman!

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!
    Attached Files
    Lawrence

damn what type of snake was that? has to be the most unlucky snake in the world
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Please tell me that was not taken at your house!
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

anyone remembering that one?

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Damn it! You guys are gonna scare off Lizzie for another 6 months!

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman

anyone remembering that one?

mfg
            wulfman
            OH, YES!

I remember that

Makes me love the fact that I live in a country where spiders larger than an inch is rare and spiders over 2 inches is really rare (they do exist - ugh)
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Man that Black Widow will have food for a month!

Her X husband must of pissed her off

Comment

wow..... thats... wow...
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

There's something weird about that pic. The blood collection does make it look like the snake has been dead in that position for some time, but where's that wound from? AFAIK, black widow venom is not necrotic.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If that's a real snake it's pretty darn small. The garage at my old house had black widows in it and they arn't all that big of a spider, maybe 15 mm at the most for body length from spinnerets to fangs. And yep Wombat, their venon is a neurotoxin, here a quote ripped off the web:

What are the symptoms of poisoning by widow spiders?
                    Widow spiders inject a toxin that affects the nervous system (neurotoxin). Muscle and chest pain or tightness are some of the most common reactions to the widow toxin. The pain also may spread to the abdomen, producing cramping and nausea. Other general symptoms include: restlessness, anxiety, breathing and speech difficulty, and sweating. Swelling may be noticed in extremities and eyelids but rarely at the bite site. Often there is a general sense of discomfort shortly after the bite, and acute symptoms increase in severity during the firs day after a bite. Symptoms usually decline after two to three days but some mild symptoms may continue for several weeks after recovery.

How dangerous is the bite of widow spiders?
                    Only the bite of the female, usually the adult female, is potentially dangerous. Although extremely painful and temporarily debilitating, fatalities from untreated widow bites are uncommon. During the period between 1926 to 1943, mortality ranged from 4 percent to 5 percent, but current medical treatments have reduced this to a much smaller incidence. Death usually results from respiratory paralysis. The very old, very young, and those with a history of high blood pressure (hypertensive) are at greatest risk. Prompt medical treatment can greatly reduce the danger from widow bites and has reduced fatalities to extremely low rates in recent years.

Can black widow bites by treated?
                    Because of the possible severity of black widow bites, immediate medical attention is important. Physicians can intravenously inject calcium gluconate to counteract most effects of the toxin. The injection helps bolster levels of calcium salts that are depressed by the effects of the bite. A black widow antiserum also is available, although effects usually are less dramatic than the calcium gluconate treatment. First aid prior to the physician visit involves treating the bite site with antiseptics to prevent infections and trying to keep the patient quiet and warm. Because the toxin moves quickly in the body, attempting to suck out the poison is ineffective.
                    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 20 February 2004, 20:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X