• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC still running... eh?

Ok, so here was my OLD rig:

MSI 745 Ultra
    XP 1800+ (@266)
    2x256 Crucial PC2100, 1x512 Edge PC3200 (that won't run as 3200)
    Seagate 120, WD 120
    Radeon 8500
    Audigy1 -> 2 softmod (eX)
    3Com NIC

And here is my NEW rig:

FIC KT748
    XP 2500+ (@333)
    1x512 Generic PC2700, 1x512 Edge PC3200 (same old stick that runs fine at 333 but not at 400)
    Seagate 120, Samsung 80
    Radeon 8500
    Audigy... blah blah
    Onboard NIC (Realtek)

So here's the problem... it just feels a bit sluggish. Especially IDE transfers. The MSI 745 was very good at me being able to do 10 other things while I was doing a gigantic file copy, but this 748... not so much. I've now gone through 3 748 boards, so I know it's not this FIC (I tried an IWill as well), and the nForce2 I tried was even worse.

Now the problem isn't throughput, I think... I think it's latency. I have been formatting the drive over the top, but doing a quick format - can it still be "fragmented"? Or is it possible that this Seagate is, after a year of flawless silence, finally letting go on me? Or slowing down?

The machine just seems... not as snappy as it was, and I expected it to be at least MARGINALLY faster, with the increased bus speed and processor speed.

I might have an opportunity in the next couple weeks to trade sideways to a P4 - so anyone who wants to answer my other thread about P4's and HT, feel free.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I presume you've checked the UDMA modes your devices are using? I've found some mobos fussy about using CS or not. Have you tried removing that Samsung 80? HDTach? have you repeated any tweaks/service settings from your old install? ...
    FT.

Comment

You could also try the Seagate software to check up on the drive; I have used the Enterprise, and it shows a great deal of information. Might indicate if you drive is in fact going south...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yeah I'll run those checks.

It runs sluggish even with the old WD 120 on there too, so that's not it.

Yeah, the drives are using UDMA5.

It's puzzling... all the latest SP's and patches all in.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I can't imagine not running the XP at 200FSB. I run both my 2600+ and 2500+ at 200, and it makes a world of difference.
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Yeah, but it shouldn't run WORSE at 333 than my last one did at 266, right?

I want to get it working at STOCK speeds first, THEN clock it up.

- Gurm

Comment

the PCI latency settings for the IDE on the MSI 745 is 128 clocks so it has a big headoom, hows it set on your current board?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Can't really say what's causing your board to be sluggish. My machine seems quite responsive. My cousin's machine which is a 746 based ASRock K7S8X seems a lot more sluggish. Granted he has a crap videocard and two sticks of noname ram but even when I had my K7S8X it was quicker than his. We both have XP2400+es, but I'm running the 1.21d bios which has tighter mem timings, even at default. Never used a 745 based board so can't make a direct comparison. Can say moving to 748 from 746 brought a zippier feel to it. hdtach with the 2.04a SiS IDE drivers is giving me 103MB/s burst and 48MB/s sustained. When I was back in the UK I successfully burned a DVD with EzCD Creator6 while burning a CD with burnatonce, downloading Mandrake 9.2 and webcaming with MSN with my brother in Ft. Lauderdale
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yeah I didn't think of that.

Anyone remember what the optimal PCI latency for various devices is? I can tweak through powerstrip, right?

- Gurm

Comment

I guess I'll go and see what hdtach shows on my rig when I get a chance later.
                    RC Agent
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

It's that crappy realtek nic card. I'd make sure your drivers are up to date and hard set(manually) the speed and duplex.

Of course, this is just a guess.

Dave
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                        It's that crappy realtek nic card. I'd make sure your drivers are up to date and hard set(manually) the speed and duplex.

Of course, this is just a guess.

Dave
                        I can always put the 3Com back in. I remember asking people on here about this very topic a month back and nobody had anything intelligent to say THEN. Grr...

- Gurm

Comment

Well, I found at least two culprits:

1. The realtek network is crap. Numbers are all OVER the place. Sometimes I'm getting the full 3.5mBit from Comcast, sometimes only 2mBit. Bleh. 3Com fixes that.

2. My Seagate drive, according to Sandra, is benching at 18MB/sec., whereas the "average" 120GB 7200RPM drive is benching at 31MB/sec. That's a pretty big discrepancy. Can a drive stay fragmented even after a quickformat, or is this drive going downhill? I'll be checking it with the Seagate tools ASAP.

- Gurm

Comment

Yeah, I double-checked the benches, and the Samsung (not supposed to be anything special) 80GB I have on there as a storage drive is benching at 27MB/sec. - yikes! The WD, despite its volume, benches FASTER than the average (of course) at around 35MB/sec.

I guess this Seagate has issues. Maybe time to low-level format or try the repair tools. *sigh*

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Yeah I didn't think of that.

Anyone remember what the optimal PCI latency for various devices is? I can tweak through powerstrip, right?

- Gurm
                              I don't really know wich values that is optimal, but they are changable with powerstrip
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X