200 dead in Iran train blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 dead in Iran train blast

TEHRAN (CNN) -- More than 200 people were killed Wednesday when runaway train cars carrying flammable fuel products derailed and exploded near a populated area in northeastern Iran, officials told CNN.

Iran's state-run news agency reported 350 people were injured, and the death toll could rise.

The train was transporting gasoline, phosphorous and other industrial chemicals when the cars broke loose and derailed northeast of Tehran, officials said.

Five Iranian villages were destroyed near the site of the explosion, The Associated Press quoted Iran's official news agency as reporting.

[OT]
    First their jets, now their trains.
    Do really you trust those people to handle nuclear stuff ?
    I smell a Chernobyl 2 coming.
    [/OT]
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Ouch. Alledgedly, maintenance on the aicraft is lacking due to sanctions on its airline industry. An Iranian aviation official asked the US the lift these sanctions in January 2004.

Assuming the IAEA can now fully inspect Iranian Nuclear Activity, one has to wonder whether it would be advisable to lift any sanctions, if there are any, on parts for a plant as well, exactly because of Chernobyl type risks.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Re: 200 dead in Iran train blast

Originally posted by TransformX
      [OT]
      First their jets, now their trains.
      Do really you trust those people to handle nuclear stuff ?
      I smell a Chernobyl 2 coming.
      [/OT]

Comment

Local papers are syaing that an earthquake (a small one I guess) cause the cars to go adrift.

Just to be clear, in post #2, I posted sort of question (would it be advisable...). My position is yes, it would.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
        X