Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro for $99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro for $99

Is this a good buy? or is it old technology?

What HW do you need to run this adequately for video capture?

9000 Pro is roughly on par with the 8500, sometimes slower but sometimes faster (it has DX9 hardware, the 8500 only has DX8.1 hardware).

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Eh?!? The 9000 doesn't have DX9 Gurm, it's 8.1 just like the 8500. http://www.ati.com/products/radeon90...pro/index.html

Comment

its a 8.1 8500 with slower speed (on 9000 there is only 1 texturing unit that can do 6 textures per pass, whereas on 8500 there are 2 texturing units that caan do 3 textures per pass.)

they are both 4 pixel pipeline architectures though.

Comment

How much memory do I need to use this for video? Do I need a serious HD, or will my old SCSI 3 Cheatah be adequate? 1GHz processor enough?

Comment

352x288 should be okay using mjpeg, 720x576 might be pushing the limit of that HDD's.

ultra-3 = 40MB/s is that an oldish cheetah or newish?

Some ultra -3's may be pushing close to 30-40MB's, some might be lucky to get 10MB's

Whats the official/ theoretical sustained throughput of those suckers?

Comment

It's a ST318203LW

Here's some data on it. Some of it is Greek:
              INTERNAL TRANSFER RATE (mbits/sec)________193 to 308
              INTERNAL FORMATTED TRANSFER RATE (MB/sec)_29.5 avg
              EXTERNAL TRANSFER RATE (mbyte/sec) _______40 Sync
              Low Voltage Differential(LVD) _______80 Sync
              SPINDLE SPEED (RPM) ______________________10,016
              AVERAGE LATENCY (mSEC) ___________________2.99
              BUFFER (/optional)________________________1024/4096 KByte
              Read Look-Ahead, Adaptive,
              Multi-Segmented Cache
              INTERFACE ________________________________Ultra2 SCSI
              ASA II, SCAM level 2 (1 default)
              BYTES PER TRACK __________________________153,284-229,045
              SECTORS PER DRIVE ________________________35,566,480
              TPI (TRACKS PER INCH) ____________________12,580
              BPI (PEAK KBITS PER INCH) ________________252
              AVERAGE ACCESS (ms read/write)____________5.4/6.0
              Drive level without controller overhead
              SINGLE TRACK SEEK (ms read/write) ________0.7/0.9
              MAX FULL SEEK (ms read/write) ____________12.2/13.2

I have it connected to a Adaptec AHA-2940 UW controller

Thanks for the input. I have been waiting for an affordable card.
              Last edited by Brian R.; 17 February 2004, 23:58.

Comment

oer, 10k with average of 30MB/s thats a keeper, could even be good for 720x576 if you you get a codec that's easy on your CPU. I think you should be good for at least SVCD quality.

What are you likely to be capturing?

Comment

I was able to capture full PAL res video with my Duron 800 using the PICVideo MJPEG codec or the HuffYUV codec.

The MJPEG needs about 3-5MB/s sustained HD write speed (any HD should be able to do this), the HuffYUV needs ~10MB/s.
                  You can calculate the size needed for a movie yourself by the above data.

You could also capture quarter PAL (352 x 288) directly to mpeg2 with this CPU and ATIs Multimedia Center. I doubt that full PAL res direct mpeg2 is possible, though.
                  But then, maybe the quality of the quarter PAL mpeg2 capture is good enough for you - I've captured a short clip in 352x288, MPEG2, 4MBit/s, using ATIs TV application. You can dl it to see the quality this would get you:
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks. One more question: Do the newer AIW cards have a significant advantage in video capture capability compared to this one or are they similar in this respect and the only difference is in graphics (3D) display speed/quality?

@MM I had pictured capturing broadcast TV and Hi8 video.

Comment

I used to do some reasonable full PAL 720x576 with a 750 duron(@1000) , but came to the conclusion it was simply a lot less hassle in storage space/reprocessing time and dropped frames to simply capture a quater PAL as Indiana said as the quality realy is not that different for free to air broadcasts.

In fact for a lot of my broadcast TV capturing I still stick to 352x288 even tho I have athlon at 200x11.5 and 160g dedicated SATA capture drive, except now I capture/compress straight to xvid and have even tried experimtenting with compressing audio on the fly as well I just have to sort out the audio sync problems and I'll be sweet.

Comment

That sounds ambitious MM.

Do you know if the video capture capabilities of this card is pretty much the same as a newer card? I don't care for 3D rendering or game playing with this computer, so that is not an issue.

Comment

AHRM!

The 9000 DOES, in fact, support many of the functions that the higher-end 9x00 cards support, such as (but not limited to) the video playback acceleration thingermabob and the extra pixel shader whatzits.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                            Thanks. One more question: Do the newer AIW cards have a significant advantage in video capture capability compared to this one or are they similar in this respect and the only difference is in graphics (3D) display speed/quality?
                            Well, AFAIK all current ATI Radeon AIW offerings (including the 9000AIW) have the exact same RageTheater chip on them, so capture quality should be the same.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

You mean the infamous "FULLSTREAM" feature?

Check the post from CATALYST maker in the middle of this thread: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33683600

Divx FULLSTREAM acceleration can not work on anything lower than a 9500. Its technically not possible.

FULLSTREAM is support on the 900/9200 however but with Real Networks RealOne player.

Summary:

Fullstream for 9000/9200: Real Networks
                              Fullstream for 9500+ : Real Networks and DivX
                              Real themselves claim that the 8500 can do fullstream: http://www.real.com/accessories/?pro...,rcahome,rcacp

The 9000 does have a slightly more optimized pixel shader, but it's still DX8.1.
                              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 18 February 2004, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X