Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on ATI's next gen

Suprised this hasn't been posted by anyone yet:

Hopefully that'll mean price drops on the current ones before HL2 comes out.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I was just thinking it was about time they trumped the 9800 series. The hardware comes out in Q2 supposedly.. wonder when solid drivers will come out..

Comment

also in Q2 - the following year
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ain't sayin' NOTHIN'.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

Ain't sayin' NOTHIN'.

- Gurm
          No, you are just implying a lot
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I would never imply anything. Not me.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Isn't that: "I would ne'er imply nuttin'"?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Didn't think so.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  I was just thinking it was about time they trumped the 9800 series. The hardware comes out in Q2 supposedly.. wonder when solid drivers will come out..
                  Heh, I could have told you they were releasing a new product soon. Considering I just bought a 9800Pro for $200, that's known as "dumping inventory."
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well the industry needs to get some Doom III cards into the market. Isn't that turkey supposed to finally fly sometime soon? (no TM required since Matrox won't be in the running)
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

interesting, note the low-end next gen for radeon 9000 series... its built on 0.11um...

Comment

The thing with Doom3 is that, like every other iD production, Carmack goes on and on about how the "next gen" cards are required to play it... then it's released and you discover that it runs just fine on a Voodoo1.

I mean, Quake3 was supposed to require these uber-cards to run it. Like it was supposed to REQUIRE a Radeon 8500. But it runs fine on virtually ANY card, even TNT2's.

- Gurm

Comment

Its because he start playing WAY before he's finished refining the code!

Just a big child, really...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Besides Doom3 will be more a DX8 tech alike (I know it is OpenGL, but the used techniques are more DX8 ones than DX9) - so I guess a fast DX8 card will suffice for it (a GF4 e.g.)
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

id games are designed to play on all sorts of resolutions, as many hardcore tournament players will play at low res for best performance. So you can play the game on older cards, but to play the game with all eye-candy and features on at tournament grade speeds ... THEN you need the uber card.

Plus I think Carmack underestimates just how good of a programmer he is. I've read interviews with people who have worked with him and they all say he's absolutely the best programmer in the industry, hands down. With code as efficient as his, I'm sure lots of the older cards will work well with the core aspects of the id games.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X