VIA KT880 chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA KT880 chipset

You guys think via's porblems have been solved with this revision and would anyone buy AMDXP motherboards based on this chipset?

personally i would be saving money to buy an AMD64 or opteron system.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Re: VIA KT880 chipset

Originally posted by Belwarrior
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/k7-series/kt880.jsp

You guys think via's porblems have been solved with this revision and would anyone buy AMDXP motherboards based on this chipset?

I wouldn't buy anything via based unless I want some fun and too extend my day time job into the evening.

Via ==> Recycle bin.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Their Envy line of 24-bit chips are nice. So far my Revolution is better than any previous sound card I've had.

Comment

No they're not. So far they've only crippled the original Envy24 into their newer models.

They bought a nice chip and are in the process of VIAding it...

Only the original Envy24 maintained its quality.

Comment

The only difference between the Envy24 and the Envy24HT is that the HT has support for 24/192, rather than 24/96 and does not have any harware directsound channels. For music listening and a bit of gaming, there should be no loss in quality. It is the supporting hardware, like ciruitboard layout, DAC's, capacitors that should make all the difference (and, oh yeah, drivers)...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Hmmm, this VIA chipset is simply has too many new features to be very functional or bugfree.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, given how long it took for VIA to get their PATA right, I don't want to be a guiniea pig for their SATA implemntation.
            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Can anyone say corrupted data ??
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

co#%up§öd d*/a?

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Seems like a nice chipset to me, I'd try it if I had the need to upgrade.
                  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Well they actually seemed to have SATA raid right in the current stepping of the VT8237 southbridge, and it actually outperforms lots of other sata controlers I've seen in HD benches. However it is a big deal to move that much stuff over to the northbridge... so I guess it'll be a wait and see thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                      Well they actually seemed to have SATA raid right in the current stepping of the VT8237 southbridge, and it actually outperforms lots of other sata controlers I've seen in HD benches. However it is a big deal to move that much stuff over to the northbridge... so I guess it'll be a wait and see thing.
                      It's a software solution. The CPU is doing all the work.

Comment

Ok, see this cracks me up. So I was poking around the reviews of the SiS748 chipset, and came across article after article saying things like "this chipset underperforms" and "this chipset isn't as fast as the VIA or nForce".

But MULTIPLE hardware sites have reported that EVERY NFORCE CHIPSET currently in production can be crashed outright by loading it up with too many concurrent IDE transfers. That's right, set 20 large file copies going at once, and the chipset shits the bed and bluescreens!

VIA apparently can be FORCED to corrupt data by doing much the same thing.

That says to me that the chipset is DEFECTIVE.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, no wonder VIA or Nforce is "faster" they have disabled the "failsafes"
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

But MULTIPLE hardware sites have reported that EVERY NFORCE CHIPSET currently in production can be crashed outright by loading it up with too many concurrent IDE transfers. That's right, set 20 large file copies going at once, and the chipset shits the bed and bluescreens!

That says to me that the chipset is DEFECTIVE.

- Gurm
                            I have just tried that on my nforce2 board, except my computer is still running fine.

A url describing the problem and how to trigger it would be apperciated thanks.
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Kurt, I'm pretty sure my SATA raid1 setup is hardware controled through the 8327 southbridge. I have lower cpu utiliation with it than using the silicon image sata controler. I know windows has "software' raid, but I'm not sure how this can be software when the array is enabled before windows loads and I never set up additional raid support through windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X