driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Ok here is what I have gleaned so far....

This is due to a driver accessing memory that doesnt belong to it that relates to the sharing of IRQ's and badly written drivers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway the ones that come up are an adsl modem driver (speed touch 330) and onboard sound for ASRock K7S8XE. I disconnected the modem which brought the computer back from the dead (refused to complete a chkdsk). I am mid clearing off a ton of adware this poor person put on his computer - could any of this stuff cause it?

anyone have any guidance?
    hmmmmm

If it is an USB modem then it's definitly a BIG suspect on your list

Any USB>NIC devices is EVIL
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You are correct in your assessment of the BSoD error. However, it may not be just the driver. If the hardware has gone bad, and thus causes a call from the driver to fail, the error could occur as well. And since ADSL modems are suseptable to power spikes over a phone line, i.e. can get fried like a regular modem, it is very likely the modem has been fried.

I would try the modem out in another computer and see if it blue screens, crashes or whatever it's doing in the guys computer.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Can also be faulty memory.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Can also be faulty memory.
          I second this motion. Seen it many times. Wouldn't hurt to test your RAM just to get that out of the way.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

okey doke...

The memory is new - crucial 2700 ddr - I will swap it with some of mine and see what changes. Will try out the modem side of things on mine.

After removing the modem letting chkdsk run fully and restarting I plugged the modem back in. It works fine currently - I left 3d mark running in demo mode to stress it a bit.
            hmmmmm

Comment

Zokes/Pit, what would you use to test memory? I usually just try it out on a couple of other computers and run something that stresses the computer a bit.

thanks
              hmmmmm

Comment

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Download a bootable ISO, burn it on to a CD, and then boot with it and leave it running overnight.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can have many causes.

1. Drivers.
                  2. Chipset.
                  3. RAM.
                  4. I imagine CPU, but I think you'd see MORE issues if the CPU itself were bad. Besides, CPU's seldom die in a manner other than "hey the machine doesn't boot any more and it smells funny".

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

GNEP - any particular test?

Gurm - chipset drivers are on my list to check.
                    hmmmmm

Comment

Leave it running the default set of tests - should be good enough.
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

My old machine had these bsods too. After a some time I realized that I had set too aggressive ram settings in the bios (latency!). But I think your bios reads the eeprom of the memory (auto setting in the bios)? Crucial memory should indeed have correct parameters in it, though.

Happy testing, Hannes

Comment

GNEP - I left it running for a few hours and 0 errors - which is good.

Try out the drivers again now - they all seem to be up to date but I will disable one at a time. The error now only occurs when I am trying to install SOF2. weird
                          hmmmmm

Comment

Does the BSOD say for which file (.sys ...) you get the IRQ error ?

If so, you can hunt down that file and see to what component it is related.

Comment

aha its the **&^% modem

ok there's an updated modem driver so will try that. God what a pain. Here's one though if I leave it unplugged (the modem) during boot until windows is up it does not crash on installing sof2. But it does after:

The driver that cams up on the BSOD - it actually just reboots now (which is fun) was the cduma.sys which relates to the sound. As it onboard I am not going ot disable it as that would mean a new sound card - which I am not forking out for.

Would the sound and modem memory allocations be an issue?

sound :

dc00-dcff
                              d800-d87f
                              irq18

modem:

cfffd000-cfffdcff
                              cfffe000-cfffecff
                              cffff000-cfffffff

----arghhhhh

just upgraded modem driver, still crashed
                              unplugged - dodgy cdrom - still crashed
                              unplugged adsl - still crashed (that one is annoying as its the first time)

aha - works if I disable sound in the bios - gah

ok time to mail some manufacturers. Anyone reckon I would have as much trouble with XP rather than 2000?
                              hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X