HELP! electronics questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! electronics questions

OK, here's the story. I bought a new radio/nav system for my truck. The only downside to it is, you can't listen to CD's while using the nav system because the DVD has to be in for the nav system to work.

My options are:

1. Get sirius satellite radio as the radio supports it.
    2. Get a factory CD changer as the radio supports.

I didn't like using these options because I don't want to pay a monthly fee for the satellite radio and I don't want to use up space underneath my center seat for the CD changer because I use it to store things.

So i started looking into ways of plugging in an MP3 player of some kind.

I found a company, Soundgate, that address this very issue. They have a device that allows you to plug in auxiliary components into your system. I thought, cool! I can plug in an MP3 player and it solves all of my problems.

Of course, it is never that easy. They tell me that I have the only radio out that isn't compatible with their interface. They tell me they are making a new one and it should be out in about 4 weeks or so. Cool, this is good news except I started thinking about what this device does. It sounds like all it does is send it's output to the input of the radio. Hell, I could make that. I even have the pinout for it. It is the 10 pin side btw. I see left and right audio input! Seems easy enough to hookup.

Here is where I think the problem is...I think the reason the current device doesn't work is the fact that when I press the AUX button on the radio, it needs to detect a signal to change to AUX or it will skip over AUX and go to the next mode. How do I have it detect that a device is on the AUX connector? Also, the device they are selling is $100! That is a lot of money for some wiring and maybe some cheap electronics. Any help appreciated!

EDIT: Almost forgot, they told me that the radio does nothing for the device except change the volume. This tells me that it is truly line in and nothing else.

EDIT2: Noticve the 'PCI BUS' on the pinout? That is what I am thinking needs a signal to tell the radio a device is on the AUX.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 12 February 2004, 16:23.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

IF anyone knows where I can find the serial info that travels over the PCI bus or where I might be able to find a white paper/specs/data sheet, that would help me too because then I can just build the device I need. Any tips are welcomed as well

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Will it simply detect that something is plugged into the AUX line in, eg not Open circuit?

I don't know if I can be much help, but what is the model of the CD /radio amp etc as somone might possibly be able to dredge up some schematics.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
        Will it simply detect that something is plugged into the AUX line in, eg not Open circuit?

I don't know if I can be much help, but what is the model of the CD /radio amp etc as somone might possibly be able to dredge up some schematics.
        I don't think it will 'detect' something for two reasons.

1. My current factory system skips over the modes not being used, so somehow it knows that something is plugged in, etc...

2. I talked to a guy at soundgate(the people that make the interface) and he told me that the reason it didn't work with the new system I am getting is it has different "electronics" than all of the other factory Chrysler systems.

And I guess showing you the actual radio would help All info about it can be found here:

Welcome to the JeepSpecs.com in-depth page on WJ Generation Jeep Grand Cherokee RB3 and RB4 navigation systems. We have organized as much information as we could find into a helpful article below. Is something incorrect or missing? Please get in touch with us and we’ll fix it! Models RB3 and RB4 Models RB3 (Europe) and RB4 (North America) The RB4 (Mopar P/N 82208481) is a CD-based navigation radio that is made by Harmon International. The main difference when compared to the premium […]

It's called the RB1

Comment

Cheap option you get one of those FM transmitter thingies that plugs into your MP3 player and then tune your stereo to the same frequency

I have a feeling there may not be an easy answer for this one
          Last edited by Marshmallowman; 12 February 2004, 22:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
            Cheap option you get one of those FM transmitter thingies that plugs into your MP3 player and then tune your stereo to the same frequency
            I thought about that, but I hear the quality is poor. Combine that with MP3 quality and it sounds like it will be the music of hell. Anyone have any recent experience with the FM modulators?

Dave

Comment

Dave, if I'm not mistaken what they are refering to as a PCI-Bus is actually refering to a subset of ISO 9141 serial bus. This is used as a diagnostic interface for computers which read the various sensors, computers and later car audio issues in various auto manufactures vehicles.

Hope this helps
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Here some stuff about the automotive PCI bus thingy

Looks like it will involve some electronics tinkering

edit: looks like the above info is a bit bogus, wrong PC I bus
                Last edited by Marshmallowman; 12 February 2004, 22:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                  Dave, if I'm not mistaken what they are refering to as a PCI-Bus is actually refering to a subset of ISO 9141 serial bus. This is used as a diagnostic interface for computers which read the various sensors, computers and later car audio issues in various auto manufactures vehicles.

Hope this helps
                  Right on! Thanks Greebe. I was hoping find something like the 9141 serial bus spec. Off to google I go.

Comment

Ahh hah... it's the spacing of the letters that are messing with us... it should be...
                    PC I-Bus... not linked to the like of the K-Bus or T-Bus etc (security/control systems/airbags etc)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Ahh hah... it's the spacing of the letters that are messing with us... it should be...
                      PC I-Bus... not linked to the like of the K-Bus or T-Bus etc (security/control systems/airbags etc)

http://www.openbmw.net/bus/
                      damn! How'd you figure out the spacing was wrong? Man, that makes a HUGE difference in searches! Thanks a bunch!

And MMM, thanks to you too for helping out!

Now i just need to find the exact info I need.

Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Check out this page, notice the "mode" button hex codes. I think that is what I might be looking for.

Comment

If anyone knows how to get the I-bus software analyser, I would be forever grateful

Comment

Here is a good pdf doc. Gonna link it here so I can find it later.

Comment

MWAHAHAHA! The i-bus analyser software

Comment

Working...
                              X