No announcement yet.

Moving from my beloved Marvel question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from my beloved Marvel question?

I've hung onto my Marvel G200TV up to now for its excellent video compression and TV features, since I couldn't find a good TV card with MPEG encoding in hardware.

Has anyone seen the WinTV-PVR? (Personal Video Recorder) and have any opinions on its hardware MPEG2 encoder?
    http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr_datasheet.htm

I'd like the improved 3D performance, so I might just buy one of these and throw it in tandem with a GeForce2MX TwinView, I've become pretty disgusted to find out the Marvel G400TV is more expensive than a Radeon A-I-W and matrox.com being the online place to get them anymore.

I've stuck with Matrox for a long time and continue to recommend it, but the pricing just has to come down to earth.
    ==
    "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

My understanding of early WinTV PVR's is that the video quality is less than one might expect. What you might want to look for is the new Sigma Designs RealMagic DVR;

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/dvr.htm

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Looks like a nice card but at Uk £800 (~US $1200) it isn't the worlds cheapest solution! I'll wait until the price drops a bit. Looking at the on-line manual it doesn't mention SVCD, only VCD and DVD. It has preset capture for VCD (v2.0) but you would have to manually setup the MPEG2 params for SVCD captures - which may mean post processing (e.g. demux/remux) to get compliant SVCD files for burning. But it could be a very nice product.
      Phil
      AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Working...
      X