X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man drives car with shark biting leg

Man drives car with shark biting leg
    February 11, 2004

A MAN attacked by a small shark swam 300 metres, walked to his car and drove to a local surf club to get help while the shark was still attached to his leg.

The wobbegong, or so-called carpet shark, attacked 22-year-old Luke Tresoglavic yesterday as he was snorkelling on a reef off Caves Beach, south of Newcastle.

Mr Tresoglavic said today that when the 60 centimetre shark attacked him, he "instantly grabbed hold of it with both hands as hard as I could to stop it shaking".

"I just realised I had to swim in like that, hanging on to it," he told ABC radio.

"Once I got on to shore, a couple of people tried to help me but I could not remove it, it was stuck there.

"So I got up into my car and then drove to the clubhouse and luckily the guys down there had a clue what to do."

Senior lifeguard Michael Jones could hardly believe his eyes when Mr Tresoglavic turned up.

"The first we knew of it was a bloke lobbed up here at the lifeguard tower with a shark attached to his leg," Mr Jones said.

Just another reason why to stay away from Cottesloe beach

Comment

another reason why to come to australia
      aussie humor

Comment

As sharks go wobbegong's would be the one to have as a pet.

The have some nice "camoflage" type markings (sandy brown/tan), the live in shallow around reefs and they really are not that dangerous.

I have handled several myself, eg pull them out of nets before they die, and pull them out of shallow ponds when they get stranded by the tide.

I think its a pity they had to kill it , as they are kinda cute. But I guess ytou can't walk around with a 60 cm shark attached to your leg forever.
        Last edited by Marshmallowman; 11 February 2004, 18:58.

Comment

hey are those the sharks that are in the Underwater world? the ones u can touch? got a pic?

Comment

Here is a couple varities

I think the ones we used to see are the spotted ones, or maybe a slightly different one.

I do believe they have some at Underwater world , but I have not been there in a long time.

Welcome to the Marine Themes Stock Library. The world's largest online marine wildlife image database. Select a category or search from 1,000's of images.

I think they are cool
            Last edited by Marshmallowman; 11 February 2004, 23:52.

Comment

wow...heheh quite...scary some of them. I'd be screaming if i had one of those on my legs!

Comment

those are really ugly little suckers...must've hurt like he**, glad i've never gone to the ocean now
                I'm a genie in a bottle BABY, gotta rub ME the right way!!!

Comment

Long time since I was at Cottesloe beach ..

It rocked ..

Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

There has been pictures of this on yahoo for the past week or so. Let me see if I can find it...

Here it is:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Good thing it wasn't a Cookie cutter shark.

Comment

ahahah actually that one is quite cute
                        Pity it wouldn't let go.

Comment

@THE_Editor
                          when you go to Perth? Beautiful city ain't it

Comment

I used to live there mate !!

I grew up in a place called Forrestfield .. Cos Forry never had a High school back then We had to get a bus to go to Kalamunda high.

Thats where I fell in Love with Kalamunda .. Love the place !!

One day ... I will go back.
                            Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Be seeing you at the local pub then

Forrestfield.....hmmm thats quite far from the city isnt it? where u born in aust?

Comment

Working...
                              X