Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD or DVD names in My Computer

I have this annoying problem...

I have a USB DVDRW and a USB CF card reader.
    By default windows detected them fine, and I renamed the card reader so I could find it more easily.

Then later I realized that I wanted to change my drive letters.
    So the card reader was I and the DVDRW was L or something.
    To go with how the rest of my drives were organized, I needed to swap the drive letters.

Now my DVDRW drive is named what my CF reader used to be named, and I cant change it.

any ideas? O_o
    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allan Poe-

What OS? If XP, then this can easily be done in the 'Disk management part of the Computer management util'.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

yes its XP, but what i want to do is set the drive name for the DVDRW to the default

Comment

You can't just switch one of them to a third drive letter temporarily?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I changed it to a new letter and back, and it took the name back when it took the old letter back

Comment

bump O_o

Comment

Just reboot, the volume label on removable drives comes form the media inserted.

Comment

XP seems to remember it even if you change the drive to another letter, reboot and then change it back and reboot again

Comment

even if you change the media? (CF or disk)

Sound like another undocumneted feature.

Comment

You mean the "name" like as in "DVD Drive" or "CD/RW Drive"?

Not much you can do about that, at least not that I know of.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

ok here is an image of how it is now

notice how Drive I has a CD icon but it has a name?
                      That is a USB DVDRW Drive.

The reason it has that name is, the compact flash reader, that I renamed, used to be drive I. When i went to reorganize the drive order, I changed the DVDRW to I, and it kept the name that I had given the CF reader. Now I am trying to reset drive I to the default windows name for the USB DVDRW.

Comment

It might be easier to see if there were an image attached

Comment

.. i can see the image.. here is the URL

Comment

Just wanted to post my solution.

After a suggestion from Kooldino, I searched the registry for the name of the drive. It came up with a single entry so I deleted that key and rebooted, Fixed it good. O_o

Comment

w00t! Glad that worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X