ASIO & Audigy or Santa Cruz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASIO & Audigy or Santa Cruz

I'm currently running MSP and using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz in my own system -- and love it. I am aware of the benefits to the PCI bus the Santa Cruz provides. However, am now perplexed. I'm building a new video editing system for a friend. This will be a relatively hi-end box. My friend will be using Adobe Premier as his editor. The requirements for Premier suggest a sound card that supports ASIO is desired. Unfortunately, the Santa Cruz doesn't support ASIO, but the Audigy 2 does. As I understand it, ASIO provides excellent sync between the video and audio streams. If someone could enlighten my as to how important this is, using Premier, I'd be very thankful.

TIA,
    gottacue
    Mike Lange

Well asio i a profetional audio standard... i have seen the implimentations i Premier and i like it .... the VST support was nice too.... wish avid would folow suite......

ok....... you need to consider that when choosing an ASIO capable card there are some sacrifices you have to make... (especialy if you are going to use your machine for gaming) the Audigy, while it does suport ASIO, is not a profetional card and in comparison to other ASIO cards it sucks big time... (i know some may disagree on this point but once you try a pro card there is no going back to something from creative or any one else)

premier works just fine with a regular card you dont realy nead a pro card.... but a pro card does give you a better edge and better control over what you hear and what you get....

the first question you should be asking your self is the folowing are you going to be doing major audio works on your station ... do you realy need all that power or are you just using your system for editing and minor sound works... will you be inputing live audio directly on your PC (VOs, ADR, Vocals, Folly ... etc) or will you be doing that elswhere on a nother machin or in a studio and then combining the results on your machine....

if you are doing major audio work on your machine then you should get a pro asio card and a pair of refernce audio monitors aswell... but if you are just using your machine for editing projects and combining already made sound and music then stick to the Santa cruz as you dont need the extra power and what not.... sync will be just fine on that card......

i sugest you check out the offerings from the folowing

ww.edirol.com

i hope i havent mispeled the links.....

at the end its what you need that counts....
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

SpiralDragon,

This editing platform will be for editing some "shorts", home videos, and some After Effects stuff. So, it sounds like the Santa Cruz card will work. Thanks for your help.

Gottacue
      Mike Lange

Comment

For Audigy ASIO look here:

A friend of mine recommended me this drivers and I am using it since few months-works amazing

Comment

Hi,
          I would love to hook up a high end audio card with my matrox rt.x100. But 4 different cards didn't work and I now have 2 different cards. A santa cruz for analog transfers and a aardvark for multi tracking. I like the aardvark, but wish the m audio would work with the rt.x100. It is a great card. If anyone knows of a good card that will work with the rt.x100 , let me KNOW!!! Nunchal
          asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
          4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
          120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
          240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
          250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
          Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
          samsung 40x cdrw burner
          Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
          Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
          Matrox Rt.x100
          Ati Radeon 9800 pro
          19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
          Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
          Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

Comment

Working...
          X