Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any cheap tv card that accepts RGB input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cheap tv card that accepts RGB input?

Are there any cheap tv cards that accept RGB input? or could i use a SCART to BNC adapter and plug directly into the back of my monitor? It supports Sync on green.

Want to connect my cable box to computer with best quality it puts out RGB,

Peter.

scart-rgb is composite sync. Is composite sync and sync on green the same?

anyway, it'll look horrible on your monitor, since it's not optimised for PAL standards (576 lines, 50 Hz interlaced).

Never heard about a tv-card which accepts rgb input, so I'm afraid you're out of luck. Are you tuning analogue or digital cable channels? for analogue ones, you won't be able to see much above composite tuner output, and for digital, you better use a DVB card to watch the mpeg2 stream directly while skipping the analogue step your cable box takes when you watch it on your pc.

Comment

I found one, 'only' £199. Made a new thread about it. Thinkit is a first of a kind, i dont need the TV bit of it..

It uses D'scaler too.

Pete

It might kill the PCI bus when capturing though.

I'm gonna get one next week and palm off my PC TV rave to a mate for 20 quid.

Comment

but.... why... why.... WHY?

Why pay 199 quid for a device to capture a signal from modulated analogue cable to RGB that has about the same bandwidth as a composite signal????? you're wasting lots of money on a card that will very very likely bring you no noticable improvement in capturequality at all.

Capture quality of analogue tv signal can be improved by many means, but increasing bandwidth over say, s-video size bandwidth, is not one of them.

Comment

Fair enough point. If you could buy a DVB-C (cable) tuner card in the UK i would rush out and get one, one that accepts the access cards

But as far as i know one is not available in uk it would not work as most of the channels are encrypted.

I thought i could just use the DVB-C set top box which puts out rgb, and connect it to the card. And get a much better picture, for watching TV .

It is alot of money, i was just trying to think of a solution that would give me a nice picture on my monitor and allow me to capture stuff (as a second use).

Thanks for the reply, you have probably saved me alot of money.

Peter

Comment

are you talking about skyboxes? I know that sky uses some encryption standard they don't provide common interface smartcards for...

if that's the case, maybe there still are some skyboxes which allow you to hook up to pc and dump the mpeg stream? maybe through SCSI ? (I've seen dvb boxes with SCSI before).

if that's not the case, then indeed analogue rgb capturing gives the best possible quality... though personally I would wait till the encryption either gets cracked or sky releases a smartcard for CI.

btw. keep in mind that I was talking about analogue channels on cable. For digital channels, you will probably see a difference in quality between s-video or rgb capturing.

Comment

Working...
            X