Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minolta DSLR announcement Thursday!

It is official:

Konica-Minolta will introduce a DSL on tuesday, and they've said to watch out for news on dpreview, steve's digicams, ephotozine.com and dp-now.com. One shop quoted a price of 1798 EUR, which seems high, but regarding built-in image stabilization, it's quite cheap, actually.

Also, they will introduce the Dimage A2 with 8mp and a 920000 (!!!) pixel EVF (most likely subpixels, so it'll be a 640x480 unit, still much finer than anything seen to date), and the Z2 with 4 mp and an APO GT lens.

AZ
    Last edited by az; 9 February 2004, 20:50.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

There seems to be no ending to the announcements...

Simpletech 8 GB Compact Flash
    Polaroid x530 (Foveon X3 sensor !)
    Canon Pro1
    Canon S1 IS (compact with 10x zoom and image stabilizer)
    Fuji S3
    Nikon D70

The quoted price of that Minolta is indeed high...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The PIT also has an S7k.

The A1 is really the best all-around camera you can buy atm, the AntiShake is really useful. The A2 could prove to be even better (we'll have to see about noise, CA and speed), and will come down in price quickly (should be bearable ~4 weeks after it hits the market).

AZ

Comment

Ah, thought you were talking about Jon P. Ingram But at further thought he uses a Canon DSLR.

I presume you have already, but read the reviews at dpreview.com. Phil rambles on and on about minor technical details (He places too much weight on them IMHO), but if you can Filter out what is important for YOU, then there are no better and more thorough reviews than his.

The two major points why I'd choose the A1/A2 over the S7K are AS and the mechanically linked zoom ring and general SLR-like feel. Because what matters more than scientific resolution tests is handling - if you don't like the cam, you'll never exploit your full potential

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          Do any of you buy at full retail? Purchase accessories at what the stores overly inflate prices to?
          Nope... usually more...

Imagine retail prices in $, just replace the $ sign with a € and add 21% (VAT), and you may consider yourself lucky if you can find it at that price in Belgium... Same goes for PC-equipment.
          (I recently came across an ad in a US PC-Magazine, turns out the D1x was available for nearly halfs its price here It's depressing... And buying such equipment abroad means you get no support. )

I presume you have already, but read the reviews at dpreview.com. Phil rambles on and on about minor technical details (He places too much weight on them IMHO)
          Yes, that is true... But then again, when you know what bothers him, you can check it out in the store to see if it bothers you...

Because what matters more than scientific resolution tests is handling - if you don't like the cam, you'll never exploit your full potential
          I couldn't have said it better... (well, maybe... ), but this is 100% true!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

VJ, why don't you buy from germany? Prices aren't THAT bad here, and support should be easier to get since we're EU.

AZ

Comment

I know, but I'm a bit reluctant ordering such expensive equipment, esp. as I wanted a hands-on test with it... (have now ventured ordering a Parhelia from a Belgian store, before I ordered a PowerSupply directy from the manufacturer and some CF cards)

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I can tell you about the A1, if you want specifics. I have thee 7i, an ancestor, and know lots of people who have an A1.

One problem with the A1: After shooting many long exposures in warm weather, you get some REALLY UGLY artifacts until the cam cools down again. Note that many people say this is no problem for them in practice, because the time they spend composing the shots is enough to keep the cam from overheating.

AZ

Comment

I haven't heard of people getting heat issues with normal use, only with constantly shooting long exposures (without taking a minute after three shots or so to compose the next one). It remains to be seen if the A2 also exhibits this behaviour, as it has a different Sensor, and the "FoSi-bug" seems to be a combined heat/processing issue. I have never heard of people getting this problem during the day.

AZ

Comment

If there were problems even in the US or Sahara I would've heard about them. It really only applies to series of long exposures, and you don't need long exposures at daytime.

AZ

Comment

Simpletech 8 GB Compact Flash
                      This is why we need a drool smiley

That would be so handy if I could actually aford it

Comment

3 hours to go until NDAs are lifted.

BTW, I've never filled my 1 GB MD yet - but then I never had a holiday with my D7i either. Well, at least I have a 16 MB backup card if the MD should not suffice

AZ

Comment

Welp it's now 36 minutes past your anticipated announcment and nothing mentioned yet

Bet they'll mention it on some wierd time zone whatever later today
                          Last edited by Greebe; 10 February 2004, 22:42.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I errm.. thought it was thursday already

22 hours now, and this time it's the real deal

AZ

Comment

Holy Cow BATMAN I thought it was Monday... DOH!

j/k
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X