Cleaning Thermal grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Thermal grease

Anyone have any pointers on how to clean off thermal greese (AS2) off a CPU? I sold my old Althon XP 2100+ and want to get it cleaned up for its new home.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Rubbing Alcohol ?

Just a guess, I honestly have no REAL idea as to what you should use.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Plain ol' rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth.

Although make sure it's a cloth you don't mind staining, since that silver stuff will NEVER come out.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Is rubbing alcohol the same as IPA cleaner, (IsoPropyl Alcohol), as that's what I use
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

usu. isopropanol, sometims ethanol
          --Insert something here--

Comment

I usualy use chemicaly clean gasoline
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sandblast it.

I really use rubbing alcohol, seems to work fine. Taz: Yep, it's just isopropyl alcohol, normally 70 to 90 percent alcohol with water for the remainder.

Comment

beer
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

IPA applied using cotton buds (I think called q-tips in the USA).

What's a good tool for removing the crap paste that comes on retail HSFs?

PS Paddy - what a waste! And at only 5% max, prolly not very effective
                  FT.

Comment

Old Visa card's are very good at scraping off TIM's

Comment

LOL We need another TIMmy
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

and soon we will have to fend of those Pink Llamas
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                          Old Visa card's are very good at scraping off TIM's
                          yeah with some gunk remover or thinner to take off the stickyness behind

Comment

power sander.
                            -and beer
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                              power sander.
                              -and beer
                              Most everything is better with beer

Comment

Working...
                              X