St00pid arse Winblows wireless hellhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St00pid arse Winblows wireless hellhole

The Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration utility is beginning to REALLY piss me off. It randomly decides to disconnect me from my wireless network, even though the signal strength meter says I have a full, excellent signal. I then have to reconnect to the network every 1-4 minutes.

I tried updating the drivers, no good. Using the built indrivers, no good. Tried to use a static profile with the cards client manager, "We're sorry, you have to use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows XP." Tried different channels, same problem. Put an antenna on the WAP/residential gateway, no help. Windows still randomly loses connection and forces me to try a manual connect.

Hell, I just got done re-installing Windows XP in hopes that it would help ... it didn't.

I have 2 laptops on the wifi network, one even has the same card I'm using, and they have no problems. This is really pissing me off.

Hardware:

Orinoco RG-1000 residential gateway (WAP), 802.11b, external signal boost antenna installed. It's basically a Lucent PCMCIA card plugged into a circuit board inside a box (it was free, too).

Orinoco Silver 802.11b PC card NIC, plugged into a PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter w/ a TI PCI-1410 cardbus controller. NIX is using the latest drivers from Proximo Wireless (bought out Orinoco division from Lucent), TI card w/ built-in WinXP drivers

WinXP Pro SP1

I have also tried using the antenna on the desktop NIC, but that didn't help any. Thoughts?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Get a cable...

Ah, that didnt help, I guess.

OK, try and install Linux (you could try knoppix, if You dont want to mess with your HD).
    Check if the same problems persists on linux.

It might, after all, be a hardware problem.

~~DukeP~~

Edit: New version of knoppix out soon(tm)
    Version 3.4 should have improved wlan support (and kernel 2.6).
    Last edited by DukeP; 7 February 2004, 15:34.

Comment

tried 3 different cards, same problem with all. one out of 15 times it will work right until I reboot.

Comment

You have some wierd setting enabled, like the power saving function for the NIC? Try changing the card bandwidth settings too?

Comment

It's the 802.1x authentication setting (or some other kind of authentication, can't remember for sure). Turn it off. I went through hell trying to figure that one out too...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Make sure you have NOT checked the automatically connect to me non-preferred networks option. That thing is the devil!
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
              It's the 802.1x authentication setting (or some other kind of authentication, can't remember for sure). Turn it off. I went through hell trying to figure that one out too...
              that setting causes hell in ANY network configs
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yikes! I was wondering about this too. My solution so far had been to let the D-Link utility configure the wireless, and turn off the Wireless Zero Configuration service entirely.

But I'll have to try clearing that checkbox, and see if it helps!

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

try changing the router RTS threshold to 2304
                  this worked for me.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Going to set up a wireless network tommorow, nice to know that I'm going to get hell
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Mac OS X solved the problem for me (or wasn't there any problem at all?). Sorry for my useless post, but I couldn't resist ;-)).

Hope you get it fixed, Hannes

Comment

Lol!! mac user!! it must be great having a beautiful GUI A_h?? Tell me more about macs!

Comment

I am using an Orinoco card on a PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter (Texas) to connect to my ISP, situated about 3,5 Km from my house, using an outdor antenna.
                          I've had problems with XP before, but now everything works well (knock-knock... )
                          I am using the card drivers 3.88 and Lucent TurboCell client manager.
                          Try to download them here (my ISP's site, in Sweden):

Maybe it helps?

Fred H
                          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have just installed a wireless network for the first time and I concure with Jammrock, it was pure hell!!

what finaly solved it for me was to reinstall the card and let winxp wireless config handle it since it refused to let the app that came with the card handle it

Comment

802.11x authentication is disabled. Power saving is off. No wierd settings. It just doesn't work I might try some of those drivers from Fred H's ISP.

I bet the MS wireless stuff works flawlessly with WinXP. Damn monopolies.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                              X