Lost in Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Translation

Picked this up fom the Tex Murphy Forum...
    -------------------------------------------

Norwegian is, I am told, a difficult language for most people not from the region of Scandinavia to learn. I have found out the reason why. It is because most norwegians that have jobs that consists of translation to and from our language... SUCK SOMETHING PROFOUNDLY!!

Here is a list of Fred's Funny Translational Errors, found mostly on Norwegian television channels, and a few horribly translated movies. The language content is rated PG 13

1) Don't screw with me! became: Don't jerk me off. (In the literal sense.)

2) Your ass is toast! became: Your butt is a sandwich.

3) She's gonna kick your butt! became: She's gonna buttf*** you. (This was on an episode of Full House. I swear!)

4) Eddie Murphy's line from Beverly Hills Cop 2 was warped: Don't be embarrased if your dick gets hard. became: Don't be embarrased if you dig the guitar.

5) In this day and age! became: This time of day.

6) In norwegian, the word for baseball-bat is 'balltre', which would translate to ballwood. The norwegian word for bat, as in flying rodent, is flaggermus. Which would be fluttermouse (I hear snickering). In any case, guess which one was used in the sentence "She hit him with a bat."

7) We also changed the name "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" to "Faggot-Patrol".

8) You're late with the moonshine! became: You're late with the moonlight.

9) It's not a motorcycle... it's a chopper. became: It's not a motorcycle... it's a helicopter.

10) This is a lovely dress from Banana Republic (the brand). became: This is a dress made in a banana republic.

11) You don't even want to know what 'make-up sex' means...

12) You smell of booze and fags. Oh yes... it was translated the way you DON'T want it translated.

13) Have some coke and a smile! Obviously, cocaine and ecstasy... But oh no... it became: Have some Coca Cola and be happy!

14) Your father's lightsabre became Your father's easy sabre.

I asked your father three times if he worshipped the Dark One, because his answer vexed me so grieviously. became: I asked your father three times if he worshipped Satan, because his aunt was sitting next to me.

15) Perfect timing! became Perfect Thai-food.

16) If you don't cooperate, you'll be eight feet under! became If you don't cooperate, you're gonna become a midget!

17) In Bad Boys 1, a clerk is aiming a gun at Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and saying "I blow you!" It was translated into "I'll suck you to hell!"

18) I got a little knife-happy... became: I made a little knife happy.

One of my favorites however, is an example of the numbing down of the lanuage that is going on here in Norway. The ultimate cop-quote, straight from Dirty Harry himself:

"Freeze motherf***ers!!" actually became "Stand still, boys!"

-Fred

----------------------------------------

LOL

I'm glad we have a subtitle based system here

Comment

There was a similar list of the horrifying translations of Lord of the Rings (the movies) to various languages.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

My favorite:
        "Luck is NOT a factor"
        Became:
        "This is NOT a tractor"

While it truly wasnt a tractor (it was a small submarine) it did subtract somewhat from the overall experience.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Your butt is a sandwich!

LOL

Comment

Round about 1949 or 1950 (I remember reading this in Wireless World while in the Students' Library), the first attempts were being made of computer translation between English and Russian and vice versa. They put in 'Out of sight, out of mind' from E>R and then translated it back from R>E. The result was 'Invisible idiot'. I'm not sure there has been much progress since!
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We have our share of (very) bad translations here. The latest one I still remember is from the movie "Undercover brother".
              At some part someone said something like "Call the clan" referring to the KKK which was translated here to "Call the tribe".
              That was one of oh so many jokes lost by the tranlators.

This serves to prove something, a language isn't just a bunch of words, it's also culture.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
              X