Record straight to firewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record straight to firewire

It's a little pricey, but think about all the money you'll save on tape and the time it takes to capture.

MCE QuickStream DV Review

Hmmm! Interesting, but by the time you have amortised it with saved tape, you will have worn out two camera tape drives It seems, from the review (not well written/presented, BTW), you still have to run tapes with some (all???) cameras.

Can't use it, anyway, because my semi-pro mini-DV camera does not have DV in/out (I use an external drive to read the tapes).
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

yeah according to the article you can use it with out tape in the camera but it sounds like you have to manually start the recording on the firewire drive.

It's a little too pricey for me, but in time??? who knows. Even if you had to record with a tape inside you would still save some wear on the heads by not having to then capture the footage.

Although some of you may have alternate hardware to capture with.

Then the time argument, you can capture for 6 hours with out having to change tapes... that's manually turning on the firewire drive. Then after you have the 6hrs recorded take it to the PC and your ready to edit.

That would be a major time saver for someone filming long segments all the time, such as wedding events etc.

Hopefully a manufacturer will catch on and come up with a disk the size of a mini dv tape and allow higher recording times. It will inevitably happen sooner or later. I vote for sooner.

Comment

Something similar is the firestore

this does work with a variety of cameras that control the drive
        right now I use my laptop seems more cost effective
        smitty

Comment

Originally posted by smitty
          Something similar is the firestore

this does work with a variety of cameras that control the drive
          right now I use my laptop seems more cost effective
          smitty
          You're right! A laptop can be bought for lless that $1995, with more than 40 Gb.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Wow! good one I never thouht about using a laptop.

Comment

I've been using my laptop for straight to disk timelapse recording for years, using both dv and digital still cameras. This device would certainly be easier for dv use, but the price is still a bit high. I can't wait for it to come down, which it will.

Comment

I just noticed that ADS has a version of this called the Pyro DV Drive. Still too expensive, but more competition means lower prices sooner.

Comment

Working...
                X