Would like some critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like some critique

I have to re-design my site, not happy with it at the moment and it is expanding. Anyway I'm going for a more standard corporate style look, below are three examples that I quickly knocked up in PSP.

It is the page that you would get to after clicking on an artists name, current site loads the thumbnails for the artist into a small frame at the side.

All going to be css so changing the theme will be no biggie but which one if any looks like a good starting point. I prefer three and one at the moment, although not too keen on the blue a red buttons.

Notes:

1. Remember very rough, these are just starting guides really.
    2. The site has always been designed to minimalistic so as to emphasise (sp) the art.

Edit: Made images links

Last edited by dbdg; 7 February 2004, 19:19.

One

Comment

I agree, I think #1 would be the best start.

Comment

One is easiest on the eyes - mostly due to the not overly contrasty text fields.

You could do something with non-flat buttons (like 2 or 3), but keep the general light color scheme of 1.

(sorry - colour scheme - I see you're in the UK )

- Steve

Comment

Another vote for #1. Looks the most professional.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Definately one. It's easiest on the eyes, looks the most professional, and distracts the least from the artwork. Though I would make the dark gray buttons a bit lighter.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

what cms are you going to use?

Comment

IMHO, I don't like any of them. In all three cases, there are buttons/fields which lack contrast for easy reading, such as light grey on darker grey or vice versa, For ease of reading the main buttons, #2 is better, but for the secondary buttons #3. For the fields, #2 and #3 is better than #1. Also, the eye accommodates better to dark-on-light than the contrary.

In addition, more use can be made of font sizes. These are all much of a muchness and you cannot distinguish any notion of priority. Avoid any font smaller than 3 (normal) except for things like footnotes.

This ergonomy is important because anyone having difficulty will leave your site unread.

The moderate use of colour can enhance a professional site, but it must be done well and remember some surfers may be colour blind; avoid combinations of shades of red and green, in particular, where the colour is relied on for the contrast.

My 2 Cyprus cents worth.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

can you do my site too???
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Cheers fellas

Going to knock up the template and see what the css actually looks like, with regards to the text size, the above text is mostly straight text in PSP, it looks a lot better normally.

One was the first one I did and does fit with the current admin system that I have running on the site.

I'm creating my own CMS efty, don't like using anyone elses systems.

Comment

While number one is the easiest to look at, they're ALL a bit too cluttered.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok here we go, created the first one, sort of,

Look a little less cluttered now or still too busy?

Click me!

Comment

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
                            Ok here we go, created the first one, sort of,

Look a little less cluttered now or still too busy?

Click me!
                            Sorry, don't like, not at all easy to read. See above re contrast and priorites.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Make the .info frame lighter, they distract too much from the text.

Also, I don't really like the mouseover for the navigation. The "pressing the button" effect is nice, but the inverted gradient distracts me. Contrast is also lacking a little.

And increase contrast in the .info-title, as Brian said.

For prev and next, consider to add arrows.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X