Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI Serial port cards?

Hey,
    We could use some of these cards at work. There seems to be lots of people making/selling them though. Any recommendations? We'd like to have a PCI slot give us 2-4 RS232 sockets.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I have two <A HREF= "http://www.byterunner.com">ByteRunner</A> cards, which are working flawlessly. One is an 8-port high speed (921.6Kbaud) serial card, the other a dual parallel. (I have way too many microcontroller/FPGA delvelopment systems for just two ports )

I have also used stuff from <A HREF= "http://www.blackbox.com">BlackBox</A>, but that was only their external RS485 related stuff, plus, they're very expensive.

- Steve

Comment

Have a couple siig pci serial port cards and those work great also.
      SIIG.com is a leading manufacturer of IT connectivity solutions, including Serial ATA and Ultra ATA Controllers, FireWire®, USB, and legacy I/O adapters

Comment

SIIG stuff is generally pretty solid.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Ah yes - I had forgotten about <A HREF="http://www.digi.com">Digi</A>. They've been in the business since the business began. I haven't used much of their serial stuff lately (the last was an 8-port ISA card), but their products are excellent. They are expensive, but good.

On a side note, they also have a line of ethernet-to-serial converters which are pretty neat (they bought NetSilicon a year or two ago).

- Steve

Comment

You shouldn't be using RS232 anyway, Microsoft says USB or IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is better.

Comment

I built up what turned out to be a 4 port print server for a guy with a pair of SIIG dual port parallel cards that worked great.

At a previous job we has a SIIG running a motion-control system using RS232 ports for unlatching plugs in a mold for a complex plastic part that worked flawlessly. The Mold Makers were placing bets it couldn't be done: the Rep from the Injection Molding Machine's Manufacturer got it working the first time. On a 33MHz 486...this was a Looong time ago.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

The drivers for USB to RS232 are pretty stable. I've seen several high availability systems built up using these with older hardware. Places like unattended gas stations, and the like. They do work.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

The USB implementation on these boards tends to suck, though.

We're using Tyan Thunder 7501 Pro's, and their USB doesn't work right. Trying to figure out why, or if there's a fix.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                  X