74G WD Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74G WD Raptor

Not a bad drive. Quiet yes you read it quiet not a single click out of it while I copied stuff across and thats with the case off. Gets a little warm though so it's sat on it's own little cage.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

10K RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
      10K RPM?
      yes...I can't wait to buy my own
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Just wait. All recent WD drives get LOUD AS A BANSHEE eventually.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Can't wait to ditch my banshee Raptor for a 160GB Seagate. Found a shop that gives a nice 3 year warranty with it
          Last edited by Admiral; 6 February 2004, 16:20.

Comment

The Noise of my two 36Gig Raptors (RAID0) were drown out by the CPU-HSFan, which is a Zalman CNPS-7000A-AlCu and the Case-Fans (two Papst 8412 N/2GLE, both spinning@1500rpm)
            The RAID0-setup with two 120GB HITACHI HDS722512-VLSA80 of my new rig seems much louder to me, 'cause these drives are making some scratching noise from time to time (just like the IBM SCSI-Drives). What else can I say? Raptors are cheaper and quieter than SCSI-Drives and perform better than 7200rpm-PATA-Drives...
            Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
              Which still sounds better than a silent Maxtor that crashes on you when you just move your mouse. Had that happen to two D740X drives in a row.

1st ran for slightly over a year, second for 7 days. Nice touch when you have just reinstalled your Windows from your backup.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden
                Which still sounds better than a silent Maxtor that crashes on you when you just move your mouse. Had that happen to two D740X drives in a row.

1st ran for slightly over a year, second for 7 days. Nice touch when you have just reinstalled your Windows from your backup.
                Whoa! Welcome back Jord
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Now, WD wouldn't happen to have a utility that lets you play with your drive's noise level like other manufacturers do, would they ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Why don't you check around on http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp ?!

Btw, thx Hele. Just hope I can leave a better impression this time. Else a better expression. :P
                    Last edited by Jorden; 6 February 2004, 20:47.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I did that before Jord, there's only the Diagnostic (error checking) tool and the Data Lifeguard (partitioning, formating...) one, both coming in DOS and Windows flavor.

btw, welcome back

Comment

You can always try another manufacturer's "make silent" app. As I understand, Maxtor's app works on a lot of drives non-Maxtor as well.

Mind, I don't endorse you doing it. I'll be off these forums before you can sue me (again).
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

If Maxtor's tool is amset, then it doesn't recognize my drive.

Comment

Hope you don't have it on a controller card? For if you do, you need to attach it to a local IDE port, then run the amset utility, or else it won't find the drive.

Although, if your drive is either a WD Caviar models AC11200, AC22000, AC22500, AC33200, AC34000, AC34300 or AC35100, get this firmware update which will reduce your noise levels.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
                              For once I can say wrong wrong wrong wrong. Quiet as a mouse in fact a mouse is noiser. Couldn't hear with the case open certainly can't with the case shut. Gets a little warm though.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X