Not Dual-channel compatible DDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Dual-channel compatible DDR?

Could someone explain why certain types of DDR won't work in a dual-channel mobo? (ie. Kingston value RAM)

*shrug*

I have an unclear understanding of Dual-Channel.

Some dual-channel RAM won't work in a non-dual-channel board, either!

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Check with the board manufacturer. Usually the better manufacturers will give you a list of RAM types they approve for their boards. Some dual-channel setups require registered memory.

Comment

KV, this isn't even in regards to a mobo. I have a box with a single stick of Kingston ValueRAM (KVR333/256R) sitting in front of me. On the front of it there is a disclaimer saying "Not Dual-Channel Compatible".

I was curious why this is, and secondly, whether manufacturers are claiming "not compatible" when it's really just the same module that hasn't been verified to run for dual-channel setups. (ie. Athlon XP vs MP in the earlier days)

*edit* Just a thought, does a module have to be dual-sided to run in a dual-channel setup? From the tech specs for the ValueRAM, it seems it is indeed single-sided:
        Trust Kingston for all of your servers, desktops and laptops memory needs. Kingston DRAM is designed to maximize the performance of a specific computer system. Find memory for your device here.
        Last edited by isochar; 6 February 2004, 16:17.

Comment

kinda marketing Hype
          Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

Re: Not Dual-channel compatible DDR?

(ie. Kingston value RAM)
            The "value" gave it away. It's a semi tested version of the Kingston RAM.

Just go for the really (expensive) PC3200 (DDR400) sticks to get tested dual channel DDR. TwinMos is a good choice, or so I am told.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

There's no guarantee that those dual channel certified kits would work also.
              I had the "distinct pleasure" of testing two of those expensive Corasir TwinX XMS3200LL kits last June that didn't want to work at 400Mhz no matter what.
              If you want to be relatively sure that your ram will work in dual channel mode at 400 MHz you'll have to buy PC3500 or above ram.

Heck, there are enough problems matching ram sticks and finding the right timings for them on single channel systems, dual channel on i865/i875 is just memory upgrade hell.

Comment

Then again, a SuperMicro X5DAE calling itself a High-end workstation, server, and internet application is going a bit too far, in my very humble opinion.

What's wrong with the A-brands?

Another thing about that mobo, if that's the one we're talking about... it's max FSB is 533MHz, so you can't even run at 800MHz Dual Memory speed.

Unless it has had a BIOS upgrade that isn't shown on the site.
                Last edited by Jorden; 6 February 2004, 20:55.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

They're expensive. I'm building a cheap server where dropping $150 on RAM is the equivalent total of what I spent on the case, mobo, processor, and hard drive. (This RAM is not intended for my X5DAE, but a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L )

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden
                    Then again, a SuperMicro X5DAE calling itself a High-end workstation, server, and internet application is going a bit too far, in my very humble opinion.

What's wrong with the A-brands?

Another thing about that mobo, if that's the one we're talking about... it's max FSB is 533MHz, so you can't even run at 800MHz Dual Memory speed.

Unless it has had a BIOS upgrade that isn't shown on the site.
                    LOL I always thought Supermicro was one of the A-brands, unless something drastic has changed about them over the past 2 years or so. Damned stable and built like a tank.

btw, welcome back Jord

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                      Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
                      GA-7N400-L is the excellent platform for latest AMD Athlon XP 400MHz FSB processor.
                      (source: GA-7N400-L site.)

I hope I don't have to spell it out?
                      Okay, okay, I'll spell it out then...

Maybe that the 64bit AMD can do dual channel memory, but the XP/MP CPU can not.

Try a real processor for this.
                      (Just kidding, not trying to be abusive. But as far as I know, the XP/MP CPUs and their mobos still can't do dual channel memory operations. Sorry.)
                      Last edited by Jorden; 6 February 2004, 21:14.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

10 edits later... oh that's what the preview button is for?

Errm so what's that quick answer window for? (No, not trying to hi-jack this thread )
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

TwinMos is a good choice, or so I am told.
                          Jord, what does your imply?
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden

Try a real processor for this.
                            (Just kidding, not trying to be abusive. But as far as I know, the XP/MP CPUs and their mobos still can't do dual channel memory operations. Sorry.)
                            I seem to have some difficulty knowing when you're joking and when you're being serious!

On the same page you linked:
                            Dual Channel DDR400 memory architecture support
                            With the Dual Channel DDR400 memory architecture, this platform delivers high capacity of 3GB memory and high bandwidth up to 6.4GB/s to ensure greatest memory performance.
                            And here:

The nForce & nForce2 both come in dual-channel varieties.

Comment

What? You never seen an emoticon before? The wink emoticon just means that I have read/been told through some mags & sites that that memory is apparently the best.

A frind of mine is using it in his rig and he doesn't want to part with it. Can't speak for myself, as I can't use it.

Does that mean I can't give a pointer in that direction then?
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X