The Return of the Clicking Doom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the Clicking Doom!

Was running a full virus scan just for giggles when, halfway through my D: drive, it paused on a file for a moment then started CLICKING LOUDLY, forcing me to power down the system to stop it even after several attempts to do a hard reset.

It did it a week or so ago for a moment and then continued normaly, but strangely enough chkdsk, S.M.A.R.T. and a HD diagnostic utility didn't find anything wrong then or now.

I've had this HD since at least Feb, 2000 (the earliest post of mine I could find mentioning it, ) and am not sure of it's purchase date. Funny thing is, a long time ago it started doing the same thing often enough that we just replaced it with a 40 gig WDC drive and delegated the Maxtor for temporary storage... when it decided to stop doing it and work fine!

Now it's just being used for secondary storage and for non-critical backup... I wonder if Gurm's prophetic words are going to come true or if it'll just recover on it's own again?

Thinking about it now I wonder if perhaps it's just a heat issue. From the dates of my previous posts, it appears it started doing it in the winter, and the computer room was poorly heated in our old house. In the apartment it's in now during the winter we keep the temperature around 60f (16c), perhaps it just doesn't like being cold.

You could try HDD Health:

It reads out a lot of parameters of the drive (including temperature, power on hours, ...) and verifies them with thresholds...

I would be a bit carefull with its predictions about failing drives (methinks it is a bit strict )

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have a clicking IBM (20Gig) drive, just clicks, no screeches and other special effect that lives quite well so far.
      On the other hand I've had my share of WD that died on me suddenly without warning
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
      X