How to connect to a HDTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect to a HDTV?

I have a sony 51" (This one) HDTV ready tv with, DVI, Composite, SVIDEO.. etc... I have my home theater computer with an old Nvidia Geforce4 TI4200 in it, which I am using to feed the DVI input.
    The problem I am having is that I can only get a max resolution of 848*480 on the tv, and the viewable area is not as big as the resolution, resulting in the start button being completely outside the screen.
    I know the tv can handle 1920*1080i-60Hz, so is there a way to get such a beast to show higher resolutions?... perhaps using one of the other inputs, such as the Component video (Y/Pb/Pr) , and in which case where would I get an adapter to work on a Nvidia based card from? ( ATI sells some, but they appear to be for ATI cards only )

Any help is appreciated
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

AFAIK, only ATI offers a solution for true HDTV via the adapter you mentioned. That was actually one of the selling points for me.

edit: I should mention that ATI's software allows you to change to the correct resolution as well. Hope this helps.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 2 February 2004, 12:36.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hmm.. I had gotten this card for free.. maybe I should look into getting an ATI card for this computer then.. crap.. more cash

Comment

Bah! You can afford $3K for a TV but not $200 for a graphics card
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
          Bah! You can afford $3K for a TV but not $200 for a graphics card

I figured that I may aswell make it work with the parts I already had, hence I was checking if it could be done

and I got the TV for more like $2600CDN

Comment

Check here (too busy to read through it myself). There's a few other threads on this model in that forum.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You could always hack the registry and create a custom resolution setting for the graphics card. You'd have to make sure to 'unhide' non supported setting in the advanced display settings.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                You could always hack the registry and create a custom resolution setting for the graphics card. You'd have to make sure to 'unhide' non supported setting in the advanced display settings.
                Do you have any suggestions to where in the registry I should look?

I will more than likely be home tonight to experiment with it.. maybe see if I can get powerstrip to do something useful..

Thanks all for the info

Say.. how come Matrox does not have a HDTV solution?

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                  Say.. how come Matrox does not have a HDTV solution?
                  The early Parhelia press releases had a VIP2 connector on it. That got taken off though.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

this may be interesting as well:

Comment

Working...
                    X