FireGL 8800 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireGL 8800 Questions

Okay, in my search for a fast ATi R200 card, I've come across a used FireGL 8800. It's £80, which I think is a bit high, but I thought I'd ask about it anyway. You never know, another might turn up on eBay or something...

My first concern is it's video (signal) quality. I figure this card will be ATi-built, and it was their professional card, so it will be as good as ATi got at the time. I don't expect it will be quite up to my G400Max' standards, but does anyone know what it will be like at 1600x1200x85Hz? (About 230MHz pixel clock)

And my other concern: My main/only use for it under Windows will be gaming, but I suspect the FireGL drivers are optimised for pushing vertices rather than texels. Does anyone know if the Catalyst drivers will run on it, or if they won't, can the drivers or card be modded?

Thanks for your help.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

why not go for a Radeon 9600 PRO? (BBA)

Comment

Well my main use will be under Linux, and I don't want to mess with binary-only drivers (call me a bigot ). I've had enough hassle with the G400 HAL driver, and that's about as friendly as a binary driver gets. That's why I want an R200 - it's got the best open driver support.

But you did prompt me to check the price and I see that it's about the same, so I'm definitely not buying this FireGL at this price unless it's got some serious positives.

Edit: Though if anyone's got answers to my original questions, I'd still like to hear them.
      Last edited by Ribbit; 1 February 2004, 16:54.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
      X