WhoaaaAAAAAAAOUCH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhoaaaAAAAAAAOUCH!

That's the sound I made this afternoon when I opened the front door, stepped onto the pavement, and immediately executed a violent 90 degree rearward tilt maneuver (often known as "slipping.")

Apparently a surface with a unexpectedly low friction as been deposited on many horizontal surfaces, its existence seemingly due to ground materials retaining their low temperatures from the previous evening, the current ~32f (0c) surface air temperature, and a layer of vapor laden warmer air above causing liquid dihydrogen monoxide to condense and fall to the Earth. It seems to be solidifying upon contact with surfaces that are below its freezing point, and has thus formed an unsightly and quite hazardous layer on many objects, including my car and the roads.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 31 January 2004, 16:52.

ouch! hope you didn't hurt your brain too much. that gotta hurt!

For me, when I get of a car in winter, I usually open the door, sitted in the seat, try to see if the ground is slippy or not first, before proceeding to walk. if its just too slippy, you gotta be careful!

Comment

Managed to avoid any injuries, but was (obviously) caught off guard. I do that when getting out of the the car too, it's not fun to slip and hit your head on the frame of the door or something. Looks like we're gonna be in for it, there's a layer of upper level moisture moving up from the Gulf, supposed to get between 4-8 inches of snow here in Wichita.

Comment

Nearly had the same problem a year ago when I had to take my old PC case out. One hand was my umbrella to avoid the snow, and the other was the case. What happens? I slip on the (virtually invisible) ice that was on the walk. Fortunately, my (super quick monk trained) relfex saved me. (DC15 no sweat! ). Had a fright nontheless though... If I actually landed on anywhere but my feet, it would have been some serious injuries!

J1NG

Comment

lol J1NG, you use an unbrella for snow????

Comment

The snow wasn't heavy, plus I was heading to Uni afterwards and really needed to take my trademark with me. Yeah, you can say, hey anyone seen Jing/Kam? And no one would know who you're talking about. Say anyone seen the dude with the coat and umbrella and that'll get you your response.

Anyway, as I said, REAL lucky I reflexed onto my feet when I slipped, or I could have had some serious body disfigurement.

J1NG

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
              lol J1NG, you use an unbrella for snow????
              What else to use?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                What else to use?
                a hat, a coat with a hood. an umbrella is just not practical :P

anyway, i hardly ever fall. after living 18 years in a freezing country, i have developed some reflexes that almost never fail me

Comment

Originally posted by J1NG
                  One hand was my umbrella to avoid the snow, and the other was the case. What happens? I slip on the (virtually invisible) ice that was on the walk. Fortunately, my (super quick monk trained) relfex saved me.

Say anyone seen the dude with the coat and umbrella and that'll get you your response.
                  Somehow I just pictured you in a monk's kimono, with an asian styled umbrela and the case in the other hand trying to keep your balance on the ice

Comment

Working...
                  X