OS X and network neighbourhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X and network neighbourhood

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. If you want a Mac to appear in the network neighbourhood you have too edit the smb.conf too put it in the right workgroup.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

That's one possibility, you can also do this via the UI (somewhere in Network Preference in the System Preferences).

I can't give you more clearly directions atm, only got a Mac with OS-X 10.3 @ work.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

It's someones Mac at work. No of the Mac experts could find the option under networking. They react with horror if they have to do any command line text editing. I guess it's too hard for them.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

There are screenshots of OS X at modemhelp.net. Besides that it's pretty easy to set up a anetwork in OS X, easier than in Windows, IMO.

But yeah, in the Apple menu, goto System Preferences then Network and your there.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Try this goto Applications->Utilities->Directory Access with this utility you can set the workgroup/domain name (SMB tab).
          Last edited by KeiFront; 31 January 2004, 07:08.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Thanks we'll try this monday.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well the computers no visable but we can't log onto it with the username and password so what are we missing? Windows file sharing is on so what permissions do we need to alter.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You don't need the samba server installing do you ???
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  You don't need the samba server installing do you ???
                  Yes, but MacOS 10.2 and newer should have SAMBA installed by default. But maybe you should check to see if it is installed anyway, just to make sure that the Macs weren't installed with any special "light weight" settings.

Comment

Sadly my collegue isn't sure how to check whats installed or not.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

shell % locate smbd should do it.
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that when my collegue comes back.

Looking under extensions theres a thingy called smbfs.kext which isn't available.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Looking under extensions theres a thingy called smbfs.kext which isn't available.
                          That sounds more like the driver to enable MacOS to mount Windows shares, but then again it could also be an indication that the whole "Windows compatibility" part was skipped during installation.

Comment

Might help if we set the samba password or does the OS X do this for you. I've asked my collegue to look for the samba password file and there isn't one. So me thinks it isn't set unless OS X does something different.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Might help if we set the samba password or does the OS X do this for you. I've asked my collegue to look for the samba password file and there isn't one. So me thinks it isn't set unless OS X does something different.
                              I misunderstood. When you wrote "Windows is no visible" I thought you meant "not visible" instead of "now visible", hence the confusion.

Yes, if the SAMBA security is set to anything other than share, then you will probably have to create a login and password and assign it to the folders wou wish to share.

Comment

Working...
                              X