Heehee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heehee!

My son is allowed on the puter until 9pm, then he has to get off and think fo something else to do. Well, at 9:01pm he is still on it blabbing away to his friends and so we have to tell him to get off and then he argues back and forth and so on...

I recently bought a Linksys Wireless router with 4 port switch to replace my 4 port only version. Well, I noticed it had options for some access restrictions, so I set it up tonight to deny AIM and HTTP ports from 9-9:15pm At 9pm tongiht it booted him He immediately turns around, looks at me and I couldn't help but start laughing He almost got mad, but he took it in stride.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Rules be Rules
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

He told me it wasn't fair because he couldn't say goodnight to his friends and girlfriend. I said, well, next time you'll say goodnight to them earlier. 9;30 rolls around he asks me if he can log in really quick to say goodnight. I just smilied and said nope I feel bad, but I gotta stick to my rules. I don't know why I feel bad, but I do.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ya gotta be a parent first.
        Nothing to feel bad about.
        Like Sasq said, Rules be rules.
        My rugrats are getting to the age that the wanna be on-line all the time. They are constatly seeing TV shows, comercials, manuals for their toys, etc, that try to get them to visit their sites. It won't be much longer before I'm gonna have to get a router and hook up their currently unconnected system to the net.
        When that day comes, I will be sure to keep an eye on what they are doing, and enforce limits.
        All part of bein a daddy
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have just about the same problems with my girlfriend.

"3 visits to the auction sites a day - no more"....

I guess I need to setup a rather intelligent routerbox, to help me out.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
            Ya gotta be a parent first.
            Nothing to feel bad about.
            Like Sasq said, Rules be rules.
            My rugrats are getting to the age that the wanna be on-line all the time. They are constatly seeing TV shows, comercials, manuals for their toys, etc, that try to get them to visit their sites. It won't be much longer before I'm gonna have to get a router and hook up their currently unconnected system to the net.
            When that day comes, I will be sure to keep an eye on what they are doing, and enforce limits.
            All part of bein a daddy
            Thanks for the words of encouragement.

It's tough to keep an eye on what they are doing. The good news is, his/my wife's computer is actually right next to mine and I can see the screen really easy. This makes it tough for him to do things he shouldn't do. I hate feeling like a police officer too, but it has got to be done.

Dave

Comment

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! You're hurting the little guy's feelings!!!!!!!!!! That is so mean

jk

From a teen's point of view, I still think rules are important. Not that I follow all the rules of my parents (thus making them mad), but I believe rules must be there to give parents a certain degree of authority and give children a certain set of discipline.

Speaking of discipline, as an immigrant from hong kong to toroto... when I first came here as a kid, I was totally surprised by the difference between how kids are raised. In hk, disciplines are very straight... no one ever talks in class, 1 single word, the usually gets from sinple warnings to detentions (for speaking damn it) . THe most horrible thing is Hong Kong schools list children accordingly to their academic succes, and the rank of the student is recorded onto the report card. Now THAT is evil. And that's why I am i total shock when I first attend schools here.

So Dave, feel bad for that? If this is harsh for you then you must be a "dream parent" for virtuall all hong kong kids

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! You're hurting the little guy's feelings!!!!!!!!!! That is so mean

HAHA! He is 14 and 6'1", not quite so little

o Dave, feel bad for that? If this is harsh for you then you must be a "dream parent" for virtuall all hong kong kids

I am pretty relaxed. My mom was very liberal with me. I actually think she was too liberal, but she meant well. So I feel I take as much from her as possible and add some restriction where I feel it is needed.

My biggest thing with my kid is honesty. I try to stress that mroe than anything else in the world. If he is being honest with me than I have few complaints. The problem is, he thinks some things are OK that aren't. We actually busted hi the other day for writing my wife's signature on a form for school. I was pretty bummed So I had to explain the whole honesty/trust thing all over again to him. Luckily he hasn't started doing drugs yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Comment

Tell him if he disappoints you, you're moving to Hong Kong.. and if that doesn't work, Singapore.

Comment

I stay in singapore mates...
                    if nothing else, he would be happier to stay where he is now to study.. like what Chrono says.. it is even worse over here regarding education...children here gets segregated at very young age according to the marks they get.. a few times actually. So much so that nowadays its not uncommon to see children pulling around their books on a bag on wheels.. because every school wants their students to score good grades (helps in the school rankings). Then the parents get them tutors on top of the normal school work.

If your son is over here, he might become too tired to get online LOL
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Well it is important to set a few rules. Besides it is not a hard rule as he is allowed to use the computer and the net. It is just a time restriction. He might feel a bit ashamed compared to his firends but that won't last
                      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

damn those parents. I remember when I had restricted internet time. I just waited for them to go to sleep and I was straight back on the comp.

Now its all different.... thank god for Alt Tab when parents walk in..

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                          damn those parents. I remember when I had restricted internet time. I just waited for them to go to sleep and I was straight back on the comp.

Now its all different.... thank god for Alt Tab when parents walk in..
                          just prooves you ARE an mutinous dog

@Dave shame you had to go that far to stop the battles over net time (but it was a cool way to handle it)
                          PS thanks for the idea as my 14 and 11 year olds (girls) both are spending more time lately on the kids pc
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                          X