Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home Edition and Dual CPU/Hyperthreading

Hi guys,

Anyone here running XP Home on a dual CPU or hyperthreading PC?

How would you rate the performance in general compared to XP Pro?

Thanks in advance,
    Elie

I think Home does SMT (better than 2k) but doesn't do SMP.

Comment

Home explicitly says it doesn't run more than one CPU. HT, maybe, I'm not sure.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There has to be some trickery needed to make HT work, I can imagine it would be a PR disaster for Microsoft otherwise.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, but it might only be on later builds of Home that shipped with a HT box or something.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I think maybe one of the enhancements in SP1 was to detect if you were using a HT cpu and to turn on the SMP support for it.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I thought home does HT but Not SMT

It would cause quite a nasty situation between MS and intel if MS crippled the top of the line CPU.

Comment

Marshmallowman is right, and so is Gurm.
                HT is correctly implemented in WinXP Home SP1a. True SMP is not available for XP Home
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Hey thanks guys for the detailed info!!!!

didn't realize that Home did not support true SMP, what was Microsoft thinking??????

Regards,
                  Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                    Hey thanks guys for the detailed info!!!!

didn't realize that Home did not support true SMP, what was Microsoft thinking??????

Regards,
                    Elie
                    That the average home user wouldn't even have a clue what SMP was or why they'd want it, and that if you knew what it was and wanted it you'd be willing to pay extra for WinXP Pro.

Comment

You have to remember that the extra $$ you shell out for professional is NOT merely for the couple extra networking options and the SMP support - it's for extra support from MS.

They didn't want Johnny home user calling them up and trying to get help troubleshooting SMP, which can be quirky even at the best of times.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                      X