Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are these assertions (ever) correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are these assertions (ever) correct?

1) It has to be an Intel processor?

2) I need 256MB graphics ram? (in a gaming context)
    FT.

1. When encoding video or stuff like this. It's one of the only things in which cpu cycles (Mhz) do make a difference.

2. Not yet AFAIK unless you're doing OpenGL with Wildcat graphic cards.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

1) Before the AMD 386DX-40 came out

2) Not unless you like to boast without justification (and this reason seems to influence more buying-logic I've seen than anything else)
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

There aren't even any games that REALLY push a 128-MB card unless you start using AA.

I guess you COULD, in THEORY, use up the entire 256MB of RAM with like 16xAA and stuff like that.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, 6x FSAA and 16x AF in very high resolutions (e.g. 1600x1200) could use more than 128MB of gfx-card RAM. But then, the GPU would be most likely too slow for most games to run decently at this res./quality settings...

As for the Intel-comment: I don't think this is ever true (would be the same when replacing Intel with AMD, btw.)
          Even with Video-encoding, it majorly depends on the used encoding software: in TMPeg, e.g. Intel is faster, but there are some other MPEG2-encoding softwares where the Athlon64 is at least as fast.
          DivX is slightly faster on Intel now, but there's a 64Bit Version of the DivX encoder coming soon, so...

Just look at the specific tasks you're doing, then look at the rel. performance of the CPUs and get the one which price/performance ratio best matches your needs. Looking for specific brands against logic was and is always a silly thing to do...
          Last edited by Indiana; 29 January 2004, 15:38.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

1. I believe that some companies create custom applications which are specifically coded for a specific Intel processors and chipsets...

Comment

1) For a long time, Intel had a reputation of reliability, and AMD had a reputation for quirkiness. AMD has made Intel sweat enough that Intel has stumbled, and released/rushed some buggy products. Also, AMD has been getting some decent hardware support finally (even VIA got better, and they're the worst).

The "has to be Intel" thought is pretty much an outdated idea.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The Intel only thing is only really relevant if it's with an Intel chipset, as that's the cause of most problems rather than the CPU
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well I use 900mb of ram when using my chess programs and more if I'm running something else as well. It depends what you're doing.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                    The Intel only thing is only really relevant if it's with an Intel chipset, as that's the cause of most problems rather than the CPU
                    And even then the 875/865 boards operate quite flaky with some hardware out there (e.g. early AGP8x cards, but other compatibility issues are reported as well).

@ ThePit: you overread the graphics RAM...
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Thought of another situation, some specialized software vendors require a certain platform to operate on - otherwise support won't be provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                        @ ThePit: you overread the graphics RAM...
                        I believe he was being silly.
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

You're never quite sure with The PIT

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

2) in 3 years

Comment

2) Either:
                              a) When the next gen vid cards come out with 512 MB of RAM.
                              or
                              b) When HL2 comes out, so really 5 years.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X