AGP cards vs. PCI express...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP cards vs. PCI express...

A first test of the ATi RV380 and the GeForce FX 5200, both with PCIexpress connection:

But as I'm on the lookout for a new card: will there be new AGP cards by ATI, nVidia and Matrox ? Or could their current range be the last of the AGP cards by them ?

(if there will be no new AGP cards, I might jump for a topmodel-card, as there would be no possibility to upgrade further)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

OH THE RECORD? Uhh... I can't really say other than that I'm PRETTY sure there will be more AGP cards from ATI. Very fast ones. Ones that make nVidia look silly.

'Course I can't really say. That's all personal speculation, not fueled by any direct knowledge.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      Ones that make nVidia look silly.
      Don't they already
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

PCI-Express does allow other protocols on top of it. It's entirely feasible that you'll see PCI-Express-to-AGP card adapters.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Gurm: ok, I just wanted some opinions on this subject... I have a feeling mainboard with PCI-Express could be here sooner than I expect them...

Wombat: Ha, this explains what nVidia has done (in the above link): they use a bridge-adapter, whereas the ATI card is natively PCI-Express.

edit: but those adapters won't allow you to use an AGP card in a PCI-Express slot, but rather the other way around... But if manufacturers stop making AGP cards (someday), this kind of conversion becomes obsolete as well...

Is it actually required for performance to switch to something else ? I thought the bandwidth of AGP 8x is never used...

Jörg
          Last edited by VJ; 29 January 2004, 09:24.
          pixar

Comment

I think because you can only have 1 AGP slot while you can have many PCI-Express slots.
            Remember the old days when AGP didn't exist and all we had was PCI (on most boards there was still 1 ISA slot) ?
            Well the good times are back !
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Oh, so you mean the mainboards will still have an AGP slot for compatibility, some PCI-Express slots, some regular PCI slots...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Or they could have all PCI-Express, and you could plug in an AGP card via an adapter. Probably even multiple AGP cards in multiple adapters, if they write their code correctly.

PCI-Express offers not only bandwidth, but logic advantages. Also, it works over distances. You could have a PCI-Express link that travels over cable, like external SCSI does.

It might be kinda cool to have a display or something with a PCI-Express connector on it, with its own optimized video card, and then whatever "headless" computer you plug into it will work.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  Or they could have all PCI-Express, and you could plug in an AGP card via an adapter. Probably even multiple AGP cards in multiple adapters, if they write their code correctly.
                  Will this physically be possible ?
                  I mean, such an adapter would have to have a certain width, thus prohibiting the agp card to be fixed as it normally is ?

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    PCI-Express offers not only bandwidth, but logic advantages. Also, it works over distances. You could have a PCI-Express link that travels over cable, like external SCSI does.
                    You mean we could have external graphic cards that we just plug in.

I can imagine it different cards for different games.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We could have different cards for different games, but I guess latency might still be a problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if say Apple started going something like this. Some low-power, low-video-power portable palmtop computer with an external Express slot. You plug it into the apple 20" multimedia display w/ onboard ATI video card, and get great performance out of it.

Will this physically be possible ?
                      I mean, such an adapter would have to have a certain width, thus prohibiting the agp card to be fixed as it normally is ?
                      Yeah, but PCI-Express brings along with it an entirely different form factor as it is. You're going to be buying a new case anyway.

Comment

Thoughts of a hifi kind of set up with pci express, Modules such as graphics and sound just stack on top of eachother.

Hot pluggale network cards seem like a cool idea, for keeping systems up and running..

Comment

Working...
                        X