Disgrace of Sheffield drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgrace of Sheffield drivers.

Yes we've had a little snow eh what twice in a winter. The snow followed some heavy rain and sleet so any Grit went west.

Amount of snow on the main roads around 1mm to nothing ice none.

It took 1 hour 10 minutes to do 2.5 miles home.

The only place I slightly skidded was on a untreated side road and 2nd gear took care of that. The snow had been turned to ice by people in 1st gear with the foot down.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Neighbours not back and she works at the same place as me. Leaves half n hour later. I wonder if shes bumped her new car.
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Took me 50 mins to get home in Coventry today, when I walk it takes me 45, cycling 10.

The rain froze, got snowed on and had cars ice skating alover the place, was quite amusing when it wasn't happening to me.

All these problems with not enought snow to make a decent snowball.

Breezer
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

I remember getting up at 4:00am in the morning and having to drive 90 miles through a snow storm from Wichita, KS to Pratt, KS for my old courier job... that was a blast.

They hadn't cleared the roads or anything so there was at some points over 6 inches of snow on the highway, which when combined with the very limited visiblity and darkness made just trying to figure out where the roads edge ended a challenge.

Had one lone retard ever show up behind me the entire way, he passed me like I was standing still even though I was going like 40-50 MPH at the time in a long straight section of road (the sun has started to come up and the snow fall had lessened so I could actually see, but there was still around 4-6 inches on the highway.) Not surprisingly, about 20 minutes later I drive over a hill and there he was in a ditch. I had to try hard not to laugh when I pulled over to make sure nobody was injured, and to see if I could get ahold of the highway patrol on my CB.

Comment

My neighbours just got home couldn't get out of the University for nearly two hours.

Bad drivers of course, cause another problem the gritters can't get out as the roads are grid locked.

She says the main near us is now sheet ice. Well the gritters will still be stuck at base.

When I left the ice was only on the side roads. A lot of the main roads were clear or had a little little slush. A lot of the ice was in the drivers heads.

Basically 90% of drivers haven't a clue. Today there was no excuse they all should do the correct thing hand in the keys and sell the cars and catch buses.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yah, we had snow here too,
            took me 3 mins instead of 2 to get to work.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
              Yah, we had snow here too,
              took me 3 mins instead of 2 to get to work.
              Yikes! that is a fifty percent increase. My sympathies.

Comment

Breezer: It took me an hour and a half to drive from Leicester to Coventry yesterday.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  Today there was no excuse they all should do the correct thing hand in the keys and sell the cars and catch buses.
                  Isn't this what Greenpeace has been saying for 20 years?
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Yeh but I'm talking about idiots that panic when a single snow flake falls. Get off the roads dipsticks.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It took my wife nearly 4 hours to do the 10 miles home last night - thank goodness I was working from home and was able to collect the kids. (Even that 5 minute trip took me 45)

The roads were gridlocked and covered in sheet ice, so she couldn't get up the steep hills (from standing starts) and had to be towed. By sheer fluke the large van in front of her lives around the corner and he was able to tow her most of the way home. They both ended up sideways in a snow drift at one point (thankfully when not actually towing).

Schools are pretty much all closed today
                      FT.

Comment

No sheet ice here at 16:30 or by 17:40. Just bad drivers although since they weren't moving I wouldn't be surprised it started freezing up as the gritters were gridlocked as well
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Papers are full of dim wits blaming the council for not getting the gritters out.
                          It's very hard to get the gritters out when the roads are grid locked.

Anyway the dim drivers have to realise the following.

If it rains it washes grit away therefore gritters have got to wait until it stops. In this case the window was half n hour before a blizzard started. Not enougth time.

Driving with your foot down to the floor in 1st doesn't do much for your progress.

Driving with your brakes on all the time down the hill isn't sensible either.

Keep all speed changes gradual. Be light on the gas.

Just becuase there's a little slush in the middle of the road doesn't mean the whole road is sheet ice. Use your eyes to study the road surface. Twinkling in your headlights is a good clue too ice. Watch cars in front if they're all moving happily it's unlikely theres ice. If they're slipping all over the place wheels spiining like mad it says the road is likely to be icy and the driver is possibly unused to the conditions.

Going as slow as possible uphill won't help you either. If you can do a sensible speed in 4th do it. Again 1st isn't a good idea.

Pulling out in front of someone isn't a good idea either.

Driving up someones ass is also stupid.

Parking your car in a manner to cause an obstruction is also plane stupid.

Finally if you're going down a steep sheet ice covered road that goes to fast moving main road pray when you stop and then pray again when you see people following.

By the way the roads were much worse this morning but people saw grit so they weren't so nervous and hence no problems.

Since I walked in I can tell you although there was grit down they were still patches of ice amongst it.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X