Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turn your ATi Radeon 9800NP/Pro to a XT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn your ATi Radeon 9800NP/Pro to a XT!

ATi is now sporting its third incarnation of the R300 GPU which originally was released well over a year ago. The R300, R350, and R360 cores are essentially the same cores with higher clock speeds. What does this mean for everyone who's willing to stretch a dollar? It means that you can have a very cheap Radeon 9800XT with a little bit of leg work. Although the R300 is based on the same core as the R350 and R360, most R300 (Radeon 9700, 9500) cores simply cannot reach the 9800XT (R360) clocks of 412/365. However, those of you using your 9800 and 9800 Pro (R350) based cards will be glad to know that you can safely flash your card into a fully functional Radeon 9800XT video card by following this article.

This article will involve flashing your video card's BIOS to that of the Radeon 9800XT which will void any warranties which you may currently have on your card.

3dmaxx.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 3dmaxx.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

the whole idea doesn't make any sense. _IF_ there was only clockspeed difference, you could just OC your card to XT levels, and why need to flash it?

according to an ATI employee on the Beyond3d forums, there definately are differences other than optimisations for higher clockspeeds, and using a bios+drivers of a card with different core will lead to problems in quite some situations.

Comment

Plus the overall gains aren't worth possibly damaging your card for.
      Might as well just use powerstrip or another overclocker.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well there IS the problem of the regular 9800's NOT having the thermal sensor necessary to make the auto-overclocking feature of the XT work, which means the card could DANGEROUSLY overheat without you knowing about it. I'd say STAY AWAY from this one.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

You could just change the clock values with radedit and flash it with your own card bios. Do a bios overclocking like with the G400 or Parhelia.

Comment

Hummmm.
            Me thinks I'll keep running my 9800Pro at stock speeds where it wont burst into flames or break and I can still play all of my games in 1280x1024 with every single detail known to man switched on.
            It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
            Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I wouldn't do it......my Radeon works perfectly the way it is.
              ...and no smoke, either.

Comment

Working...
              X