Interesting read.
    And there is a poll.

chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Cool, Thanks !
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Malcolm Bricklin was Yugo's old importer in the U.S., and he wants to bring the vehicles back. Malcolm Bricklin also built a vehicle called the Bricklin SV-1 in New Brunswick, and they say that if he ever sets foot in New Brunswick again they will shoot him on sight.
      hehe, that vehicle must have been bad
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Acutally I think the story behind the Bricklin is more involved than that... but its still funny... actually the Bricklin is a pretty interesting looking pseudo sports car
        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Polls like this are pretty bogus. Is there ANYONE who has actually driven all the cars listed? It's all just impressions, and if a car was never even marketed in your country, how could you have any impression at all? The Trabant is one of those cars which must have been really really awful, because even though it was never marketed in the West, its legend of badness is relatively well known even here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            ...legend of badness...
            Well, that is how these things realy work.
            My first car was a '53 Beatle:
            30 HP engine,
            Side flap turn siginals,
            Non-sealed headlights,
            Swinging rear axles,
            Cable operated brakes
            etc.
            It was a worse car than at least half the cars listed
            But, no one would be very likely to put a Beatle on a list like that because they are so well loved.

It's still a fun read.
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well I'd say my Renualt Clio thats rather sucky. Sunroof should start leaking again sometime next summer onwards.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My Dad had a pinto back in the day, and a Bronco II a little more recently. Now he's got to buy a Fiero so he's got a trifecta!

Comment

I just went and bought another Bronco II because I missed my first so much. The only reason the Bronco II is on that list is because people tried to drive it like a sports car.

Comment

I am just about to buy a new car and its far different in the UK to this...

Is it really like this buying cars in the US?
                    hmmmmm

Comment

Well, Yugo isn't such a bad car if you consider it's price and target market (You can get one here (1991 at the lattest after we stopped importing them) for 150 to 400 Euros. It has low fuel consumption, maintenance (parts) is dirt cheap and performance is quite good for it's 45/55 horsepower.

Firstly the state was protectective towards their car industry, so they imposed high tariffs on foreign cars and Yugo was basically a small car of the mid 80's. While the manufacturing was bad, those that didn't suffer from this problem still hold remarkably. (About ten to five years ago it was kid's cheap car, now used Clios have moved in that spot).

Of course exporting Yugos to USA was a failure since:
                      A car in USA needs to have at least 2.5L engine (Although people never drive above speed limits, for which 1.8 should more than suffice for Passat class Sedan)

A car in USA needs to be big and long (That has slightly changed recently, but there's still no market for Clio/Peugeot 206/Ford Fiesta/Polo/Uno class or even VW Lupo/Twingo class.)
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 January 2004, 16:39.

Comment

Rode in a friend's pinto back in the day. It cost him $100 to buy. It slid on dry pavement and engine leaked oil. He had cans of oil in the back seat, ready to be put in when needed. Funny thing was, he bought a radio for it and that was as much as the car.
                        RC Agent
                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                        AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Worst car ever: Ford Excursion.

My favorite car: Citroen 2CV
                          My second favorite: VW Lupo Deisel
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                            A car in USA needs to be big and long (That has slightly changed recently, but there's still no market for Clio/Peugeot 206/Ford Fiesta/Polo/Uno class or even VW Lupo/Twingo class.)
                            Why ??? It's just in America that big is good. While in Britain and most of Europe, unless you have a large family a small car will do.
                            Also the price of petrol is a lot less in USA. If they paid as much as we did the big car would start getting more unpopular.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The big car, big engine is not the norm in the US.
                              Yes, there are those who do drive those vehicles.
                              Probably more than other places.
                              But my last 4 vehicles have been a 2.2l, 2.5l, 2.4l and 2.2l.
                              This is more the norm than others percieve.
                              We don't all drive gas guzzzling Lincolns and Corvettes.
                              There are more economical cars on the roads in the US than other nations realize.
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X