Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows folder protection?

I keep getting asked this question by different people:

"Is there a way in Windows to password protect a folder".

My response is always to ZIP and password protect it. But is there a better way?

Hmm, rightclick and then security only allows limited access... Perhaps sharing a folder might be an option ?

Just be aware of one thing when using the Windows security: in the unlikely event that XP is messed up and you need to reinstall it, chances are that you no longer have access to protected folders (happened to a friend with his "my documents")

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

However that is easy to fix as long as the folder in question was not encrypted.
      If you were to reinstall Windows you could simply "Take Ownership" of the folder in question with an Admin level account.

If you encrypt the folder too, please make sure you backup your keys to floppy disk.
      In the event that you are forced to reinstall Windows you are simply NOT getting back any folders that were encrypted unless you have that safe backup of your keys.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

You can encrypt folders, and there are easily about 100 third-party apps to let you make the folder private (aka encrypt).

But SO much can go wrong with an encrypted folder. I mean, one tiny bit of data corruption and POOF it's gone, never recoverable EVER.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Also your password is part of the encryption process so if you forget it and have to blank it poof.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Damn. I can't believe there's no simple solution.

Comment

Well if you just want to password protect it from other people who sit at the machine, you just use permissions. Very simple.

But that won't keep other administrators out if they're determined.

- GUrm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I kind of liked the idea of PGPdisk, where you create an encrypted file which is mounted as a volume when needed. The free but unofficial PGP 6.5.8ckt build 08 is supposed to work in XP, but it doesn't for me at least. Mounting just freezes explorer. (The commercial PGP 8 should be fully XP-compatible.)
                There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  You can encrypt folders, and there are easily about 100 third-party apps to let you make the folder private (aka encrypt).

But SO much can go wrong with an encrypted folder. I mean, one tiny bit of data corruption and POOF it's gone, never recoverable EVER.

- Gurm
                  Actually depends how the cypher is used. Some encyption modes do can resist corruption, others can't.

If the cypher is used in Electronic Codebook mode (ECB mode), or Output Feedback mode (OFB mode), then corruption will be limited. If CBC (cipher block changing mode) is used though, corruption would destroy it.

Of course, I have no doubt that microsoft is using CBC mode or something similar, where corruption does kill it
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                  X