Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High end 19" crt?

Hi!

Where are they? I guess there are many 19" crt monitors that are good but most of them only support 1280*1024 @ 85Hz. On one samsung monitor I saw a strange recommendation of running it at 1600*1200 @ 75Hz which is way to low for me. I've seen a couple of monitors that supports 1600*1200@85Hz but very few stores sell those monitors. This problem is probably due to the very popular 17" tft monitors but good 19" crt:s seem a lot nicer for games.

I guess I write about this just because I'm curious of what you think and what monitor recommendations you have.

Currently I use a more than 7 year old 17" viewsonic trinitron monitor which is still great but a bit too small for my liking...
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

1600 x 1200 on a 19 inch. I doubt very many will do it even if they said they do. Not without much blurring anyway. I haven't looked at CRT for a long time.
    Next purchase for me will be an LCD.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The 959NF from Samsung is supposed to do 1600x1200@85Hz and there's also the LG F900P that I have, but some say it has geometry problems.

Comment

Is your vision really that good? 16x12 on a 19" is pretty tiny.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Personally, I've been using it in 1152x864, I even find 1280x1024 to be tiny while 1280x960 is somewhat tolerable.

Comment

I don't know how bad your monitors are but my 17" monitor works perfectly in 1152x864@85Hz. If it could go any higher I would probably use it with larger fonts...
            AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
            Asus A8N-E
            Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
            Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
            Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
            Lian-Li PC60
            Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

<a href="http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10016" >LaCie</a> makes excellent monitors.

They're pricey, but they're good.

edit: corrected link.

Comment

Yes, 1152 is recommended for high quality 17", while 1280 is recommended for good 19". Manufacturers will state that 19" do run 1600, and they do, but things become too small then, AND blurry, because this is more than the physical resolution of the aperture grille/shadow mask. If you want 1600, grab a 20" or 21".

For brands, the best quality (but for $$$) is certainly EIZO. I recommend Iiyama because of their great warranty (3 yrs 24 hr pickup with replacement while repairing). General advice: better buy a good and expensive 19" than a cheap (or even medium-priced) 20"!

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Running 3x1280x960x85Hz here - the centre CRT is a 19" Samsung 900IFT - nice clear sharp picture.

The two side screens are reconditioned 17" Dells of some sort, both of which support v. high refresh rates (which is why I bought them, in addition to the fact that they were cheap). One of the screens is sharp (although that res would be too high/pixels too small were it my centre screen) - and the other Dell is slightly out of alignment so it's the one I sacrifice further by putting through my KVM...
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

If you can find one. A Sony G420.

J1NG

Comment

Originally posted by az
                      Yes, 1152 is recommended for high quality 17", while 1280 is recommended for good 19". Manufacturers will state that 19" do run 1600, and they do, but things become too small then, AND blurry, because this is more than the physical resolution of the aperture grille/shadow mask. If you want 1600, grab a 20" or 21".

For brands, the best quality (but for $$$) is certainly EIZO. I recommend Iiyama because of their great warranty (3 yrs 24 hr pickup with replacement while repairing). General advice: better buy a good and expensive 19" than a cheap (or even medium-priced) 20"!

AZ
                      I've got an Iiyama 'top-of-the-line' (at least that's what they claim it to be) 19", and I hate it with a passion. It's got a great tube (mitsubishi Diamondtron M^2), but everything else (the electronics) which is made by Iiyama is crap. It has severe ghosting problem (well, maybe not that severe, but imo unacceptable amount for a 439 euro monitor). It's not just my unit either, as I've seen plenty of reports on the web about it (after buying it of course, like it always is the case).

I'm really not that fond of sending it to Iiyama for repairs, as I've also read countless of horror-stories about their handling of RMA. Many people got monitors back that were in worse state than it was before the RMA was done, and very very few get their monitor fixed.

If I recall correctly, The Pit, too, has some nice things to say about Iiyama

no, I would strongly recommend against Iiyama. If you want to go with a -tron tube, definately go for Mitsubishi branded ones. They make the tubes, and they definately show to have knowledge about how to make matching electronics to drive them as well. Look for a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB.

Comment

I agree with az. Eizo makes a nice monitor, and they claim 92Hz at 1600X1200 in their manual for the FlexScan T766 (19"). They don't come cheap though.
                        Just a month left of grad school!

Comment

IIyama good reviews but very variable quality. The 22" I've got I wouldn't run at 1600 x 1200 as it would to blurry. Also the distortantion get worse over 75hz. Not good monitors. Support is good but then you get an old monitor back in return which was probably rejected by someone else.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Philips 109P40 is listed to do 1920x1440. Not sure about refresh rate though. 365 euros.

LG T910BU should even do 2048x1536, and that on eis just 249 euros.

I like philips screens, always did.
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

My "new" Iiyama 19" (VM Pro 452) is crap also. But my old VM Pro 17 is still a great screen. Sharp, almost no convergence problems, etc. It's 7 years old now, only problem is it's getting a little darker (after an average of being in use ~8hrs per day, every day. Man, I need to get out more ) I'm just RMAing my 19".

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X