Windows XP LAN system tray icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP LAN system tray icon

I just installed XP yesterday, got it all setup(updates, drivers, etc), installed a few programs and I noticed that when i boot up now, it takes a good 2 or 3 minutes for my LAN connection icon to show up in the system tray. The only thing this seems to effect is viewing the connections folder, but sometimes it will cause other programs to hang if they are starting up.

I have networking and internet before i even log into the workstation, so the icon doesnt effect my connection at all.

This is more of an annoyance than a real problem, just curious about it.
    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allan Poe-

It may be looking for DHCP server to give it an IP address.
    Just assign it a permanent one and it should start up quicker.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Static and DHCP, it still takes same amount of time to show up.

Comment

Sounds like some sort of bizzare software conflict. Everything else happy??
        In my case it was Novell and Mcafee 7 not getting on. You couldn't get to the networking panel or the add remove programmes panel. Since I knew it ballsed up with only these to programmes it wasn't too hard too figure out. I disabled the network card and deleted the mcafee folder which then allowed me to remove the installed software and everything came back to life.
        Installed Novell okay installed mcaffee wham same problem.
        So try removing software and see what happens.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No no, there's ... I remember this ... in some cases it's automatically doing this big-ass network scan looking for ...

Dammit I just can't remember. Is this ringing a bell for anyone?

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

smb-shares? other pcs on the local network?

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Another domain master?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't know, but I got it on both my PCs. I can't access the net before it finished, and my graphic card's gamma settings take effect at the same time my connection becomes available. Also, on the TV system, the Autostart TV application will only start after the process is done, when I start it beforehand, it can't find the TV card.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Well I fixed my problem, it was something dumb.

I use no-ip.com so I can have a URL for my FTP server, and I was trying out the no-ip Dynamic Update Client, and I had set it to run as a system service. Well as soon as set it to just run at startup, my problem went away.

Sorry for the late update, I completely forgot I posted this.

Comment

Working...
                  X