MER Opportunity down safely!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MER Opportunity down safely!

Everything worked great, just has to deflate it's airbags and right itself as it opens since it ended up on a side petal, which isn't surprising considering there's only a 1 in 4 chance of ending up on the base.

BTW, it's freaky to be watching a live webcast, see everyone cheering and everything, and then wonder "Hey, that guy looks a lot like Al Gore... and Arnold Schwarzenegger?!?"

Comment

What, he looks like Al Gore AND Arnold Schwarzenegger?

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Wow, just watched the pictures come down live, and the landing site looks VERY different than any other previous one.

Comment

Good looking pictures.

Could that be Ice on that first Pic?

You can clearly see the imprint of the airbags on the surface....at first blush the soil looks like talcum powder.

Edit: No...it looks like Icing on a cake. May have hit upon what we were looking for right there.
          Last edited by MultimediaMan; 25 January 2004, 02:49.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I just slapped a color image together, it's using blue, green and near IR filters so it isn't "true" color, and due to the onboard compression and level equalization they use the colors are stretched a lot. But the surface stuff is clearly a different material than what was exposed by the bags.
            Attached Files

Comment

The Geology team members have jizzed all over themselves, and are not likely to stop over the next 90 days or so.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

The Webcast is over...I'm gonna get some sleep, but man, two for two, very not bad.

Comment

Pretty.....

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My best bet as to the landing location, the red dot marks the spot, more or less.
                    Attached Files

Comment

They should have a flyover in the next couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                      X