Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Thermal Grease - some have no silver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Thermal Grease - some have no silver!

Looks like OCZ is a pretty big fraud, among others:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

OCZ has responded:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name= recall

From the above site:

OCZ would like to take this time to address the recent article published at Overclockers.com, ( http://www.overclockers.com/articles938/ )which shows that OCZ Ultra 2 thermal compound has no silver content.

OCZ does not manufacture Ultra 2 thermal compound in house, it is provided by a foreign manufacturer with our specifications. Previous independent lab tests conducted at the request of OCZ have shown that the silver compound content in Ultra 2 is 25% by volume and 70% by weight.

In response to this article, OCZ has submitted another batch of Ultra 2 to a third party for extensive lab testing. This Independent lab report show's that the most recent batch of OCZ Ultra 2 indeed contains less than 1% silver by volume. While simultaneously we have received lab reports from an outside source indicating the silver content to be 30% by weight. This leads us to the conclusion that recent batch(s) of OCZ Ultra 2 from our supplier did not meet the agreed specifications.

We accept full responsibility for these problems and we will be seeking legal action against our supplier.

In order to help solve this problem we have contacted Arctic Silver Inc, and entered into a vendor agreement with them to supply OCZ thermal paste.

Beginning January 22nd 2004 we are issuing a full recall of any and all OCZ Ultra 2.

Any Customers who wish to return OCZ Ultra 2 thermal paste with an invoice will in exchange for their full or partially used tube(s) receive:
    1- One (dependant on # of tubes returned) 3-gram OCZ thermal Compound (made by Arctic Silver Inc.) or one OCZ Dominator 2 Heatsink.
    2- One OCZ EL DDR T-Shirt
    3- One 10 dollar off rebate on any OCZ EL DDR Dual Channel Kit (at participating resellers)

Interesting, but they sure should have had their own testing done in advance. Also, I'm doubtful - aren't OCZ the guys who were selling RAM that was <B>nothing</B> like what they gave to reviewers?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

When you go into a jewelry store and buy a sterling silver or a fine silver necklace, you expect the jewelry to be made of sterling or fine silver. The same should apply to silver thermal pastes - if the silver paste has no silver in it and the manufacturer says it does, that is misleading.
      Not only that, it's false advertising and fraud, and is punishable by law.

Comment

Yeh the law don't make me laugth.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          I'm doubtful - aren't OCZ the guys who were selling RAM that was <B>nothing</B> like what they gave to reviewers?
          Yup
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Wonder what the Titan stuff's made of

Comment

Actually, my OCZ memory does even more then it's said to do.
              Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

I always thought that the "silver" in the names of these products was merely because they were silver-coloured... I guess I had never really thought about it though...
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

If they accept the product from the supplier with a certificate of analysis, they all they really need to do is periodically test the incoming material to verify the test results on the COA. Testing every batch on acceptance is going through alot for a trusted supplier. Hopefully, they will change suppliers permanently.

Comment

There's supposed to be a part two of this article out, but their server is too busy to access it.

Comment

OCZ is the company that sold crappy overclocked PC2100 memory as PC2700 and gave reviewers prime parts. Rags bought some and it was worse than my Crucial PC2100 cas3 sticks.

I'd like to see who the lawsuit is being filed through... they can claim the manufacture is at fault but until I see proof I'll count this company as bad as they get.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It would be interesting to see if any of the earlier products contained silver. It would also be interesting to see any thermal differances between the products.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

^^^

Man, what a scam. I hope they're punished.

Comment

Working...
                          X